News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

YaBB 2.1 on Mac OSX server to SMF on Ubuntu 8.04

Started by icntdrv, January 05, 2010, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icntdrv

I am taking over a forum for a local group, and they want to migrate to new forums on a new server.  The Current forums are YaBB 2.1 installed on a Mac OSX server.  I was given a server specifically to house the forums which will run Ubuntu Server 8.04 quite nicely.  I need recommendations on how to go about the migration of both forum software and hardware.  The converter scripts all require that the old forum and new forum be installed on the same server.  Will it be necessary for me to install YaBB 2.1 on my new server along with SMF 1.1.11 in order to complete the conversion?
cmsja.org [nofollow] - running smf 1.16

icntdrv

I asked for help on the YaBB forums about simply migrating the current forums to the new server using the same forum software.  The only help they would give me also envolved upgrading to YaBB 2.4, for which there is no conversion script available. 

Anybody have some advice?
cmsja.org [nofollow] - running smf 1.16

forsakenlad

There are actually two ways you could solve is and the solution offered by the Yabb team is certainly not one of them:

1) The first way would be to install SMF to the older server, perform the conversion and move the converted forum.

2) Second way is to install the old forum to the new server. I would recommend this option as the conversion would take less time assuming the new server will be newer and faster.
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Advertisement: