News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Connection closed by remote server

Started by Resin_, January 06, 2010, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resin_

Hey, any help would be great.

So i have apache, mysql, php all installed and working bla bla bla.
I put smf 2.0RC in a folder called smf in my htdocs
i go to localhost/smf and the installer launches fine

However, when i get to step 3 (where you input your database info), i type it all in and click next and Opera
gives me this "Connection closed by remote server", basically a 404 page. Im clueless lol. I tried get around it by
using IE but for some reason IE doesnt understand localhost/smf lol.

Any ideas why its giving me that error and not letting me move foward in the installation?

Kindred

you should not be installing using localhost...   you should be installing using the actual web access point.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Resin_

So your saying i cant install from the server itself. i need to be on a different ip? ive installed smf 1.1 this way with no problems before... and simply switched the forum to public (meaning it can be accessed from external ips)

Kindred

no... you CAN install on the server.... but the settings should be the website address, and that may be what is causing the problem...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Resin_

I gave it a shot and no luck. ive tried everything including my ip (not my lan ip) with no luck. i know for sure all the other information is correct, so that leaves server name.

Kindred

is the db on the same server (and using the server's localhost) as the forum?
Слaва
Украинi

Resin_

yes, everything is local.

I really appreiciate the help, im still stumped. ive attempted installing phpbb just to see if i would get the same problem and i did (failed at setting up the database). So this isnt an smf related problem anymore, and obviously not relavant to this forum. The problem is, i dont know where else to go!

Kindred

hmmm.... is this machine hosted by someone that has a technical department?  It sounds like there is a bad configuration somewhere between your mySQL installation and the server access point.
Слaва
Украинi

Resin_

the server is hosted by me. i feel like an idiot cause ive never had this problem before, and considering my last server was set up the same exact way, i dont know what could have gone wrong. I set mysql up the same way i always have, so i cant see why there'd be a problem "connecting". maybe i made a tiny mistake linking php and mysql together, and for some reason, php doesnt have the "access" to create a database. im still poking around with no success

EDIT: i was poking through phpinfo and found this.

directive                            local value        master value

mysql.allow_persistent   On   On
mysql.connect_timeout   60   60
mysql.default_host            no value   no value
mysql.default_password       no value   no value
mysql.default_port            no value   no value
mysql.default_socket            no value   no value
mysql.default_user            no value   no value
mysql.max_links           Unlimited   Unlimited
mysql.max_persistent     Unlimited   Unlimited
mysql.trace_mode               Off     Off

im gonna look through my php config and see if somehow it doesnt know my mysql settings

EDIT 2: No luck.

EDIT 3: GOT IT! It was a stupid little error! i either missed or mixed up uncommenting "extension=php_mysqli.dll" in my php.ini, happy i went back n looked for a third time! thanks for the help, mark as solved lol

Advertisement: