News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Who's Online

Started by derby, January 06, 2010, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derby

Please how can i enable the who's online list for my forum(SMF2.RC2)Help!
LATEST JOB VACANCIES

www.derbhotjobs.com

catfished

Quote from: derby on January 06, 2010, 02:10:39 PM

I'm having the same problem. I don't think there's a way. ::)
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Similar to 1.1, in 2.0 it is in
Configuration -> features and options -> layout -> Enable who's online list

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 06:19:26 PM
Similar to 1.1, in 2.0 it is in
Configuration -> features and options -> layout -> Enable who's online list

Yeah, that's already checked but there's still no list showing anywhere!
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do you mind giving me a link?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 06:31:03 PM
Do you mind giving me a link?

http://carpinusa.com/forum

I think the problem is that although the packages appear to be installed and I checked that the main files are installed, the packages just don't work. I just installed a Anti-Bot Registration Puzzles mod and although it appears to be installed, it doesn't work either.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Users Online 3 Guests, 1 User

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Admin

http://carpinusa.com/forum/index.php?action=who action also seems to work, but as a guest I don't have permissions to it.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 06:40:13 PM
Users Online 3 Guests, 1 User

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Admin

http://carpinusa.com/forum/index.php?action=who action also seems to work, but as a guest I don't have permissions to it.

Thanks for your responses but that's not the mod. That's standard in the Info Center. The mod I installed and have used for years on earlier SMF versions gives a list of all members that have been online in the last 24 hours.

No mods that I install will work now. I successfully installed Simple Portal this morning right after I did the upgrade to 2.0 RC2 but after that all other packages do not show up even after a successful installation. I did add a temp folder to my Packages directory to stop the original error I was getting.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, you didn't say anything about that

Quote from: catfished on January 06, 2010, 06:17:15 PM
Quote from: derby on January 06, 2010, 02:10:39 PM

I'm having the same problem. I don't think there's a way. ::)

Are you saying that no mod installed takes affect at the moment?
Have you tried emptying your file cache after the mod install?
Also, which mod was it exactly?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 06:53:43 PM
Oh, you didn't say anything about that

Are you saying that no mod installed takes affect at the moment?
Have you tried emptying your file cache after the mod install?
Also, which mod was it exactly?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The mods that didn't work are: Users Online Today and Anti-Bot Registration Puzzles. I have since tried to uninstall them but I'm getting all kinds of failed errors so I can't uninstall them. There is no longer a "delete" option for any of my mods.

The only other mod I installed was Simple Portal which is working fine.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm a bit tempted to say it could be because of simpleportal, if that installed fine and the problems started after that....
Otherwise it sounds strange to have one install go in fine, and after that all failing.
Can you verify if any of the installed mod edits are actually done to the files?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 07:14:35 PM
I'm a bit tempted to say it could be because of simple portal, if that installed fine and the problems started after that....
Otherwise it sounds strange to have one install go in fine, and after that all failing.
Can you verify if any of the installed mod edits are actually done to the files?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell what files have been edited but some of the mod files were definitely installed in what I believe to be the correct directories. I did notice that the Packages/temp folder I had to create to be able to download and install any packages now has some files in it that I assume are from the mods, that's got to be the wrong place for them:
/public_html/forum/Packages/temp/
MembersOnlineToday.english.php
package-info.xml
Subs-MembersOnlineToday.php
users_online_today.xml

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This sounds really strange, a succesful mod install should not leave those behind I believe... Is this on the same server as your 1.1 install, or on a completely different machine?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 07:27:43 PM
This sounds really strange, a succesful mod install should not leave those behind I believe... Is this on the same server as your 1.1 install, or on a completely different machine?

Everything's on my dedicated server.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

So supposedly there should be no differences in how the server or php is configured, and you should know if it had any permission issues or anything... That only further leads me to believe something went wrong with the portal installation.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

I just found a way to delete the mods that don't work so I reinstalled the Users Online mod after deleting it. The package manager said everything went fine and it was installed but it still doesn't show up.

I really appreciate all your prompt replies.

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just for kicks, try to do a large upgrade ( so in short, clean the files to a fresh install state ) and after that try a few mods - but not the portal.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 07:38:48 PM
So supposedly there should be no differences in how the server or php is configured, and you should know if it had any permission issues or anything... That only further leads me to believe something went wrong with the portal installation.

So maybe I should uninstall Simple Portal and then try installing the others?

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This would do the same basically.

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 07:41:00 PM
Just for kicks, try to do a large upgrade ( so in short, clean the files to a fresh install state ) and after that try a few mods - but not the portal.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 07:41:00 PM

I'm sorry, your replying so fast I'm getting behind. ;D Before I go through all that trouble, how about I just uninstall SP and try installing other mods?

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can always try :) After that, make sure the temp folder is empty, before you try to install anything.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

This is too crazy, I deleted SP and every other mod. When I clicked on "Installed Packages", I get No mods currently installed. When I click on "Browse Packages" I get No mods currently installed. Yet Simple Portal is alive and well on the forum. I guess I'll have to try the large upgrade. :( :'(

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It really sounds like there is something fishy going on, do try the large upgrade route and tell us if it makes any difference.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 08:35:19 PM
It really sounds like there is something fishy going on, do try the large upgrade route and tell us if it makes any difference.

I did the large upgrade which deleted my linked logos etc. >: ( I successfully installed two mods (not Simple Portal) but neither one works. I wish I could just change to MyBB but they haven't had a usable converter for SMF to MyBB forever which is why I'm upgrading all my forums to SMF 2.0 RC2. But I guess that's not a good idea either.- >:( >:(

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm really baffled - since I've been running 2.0 for a long time, with no such problems.... Do these mod installations that fail leave anything in your error logs - forum or server?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

Quote from: LexArma on January 06, 2010, 09:11:23 PM
I'm really baffled - since I've been running 2.0 for a long time, with no such problems.... Do these mod installations that fail leave anything in your error logs - forum or server?

Yes, A whole bunch of these in my forum error log, actually close to 100 errors, all similar but referring to different files such as index.template.php.

The big deal is that every one of them mentions this: File: /home/catfishe/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php but with different line numbers.

http://carpinusa.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=BoardHover_Mod_1.5.4.zip
2: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource
File: /home/catfishe/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2492

http://carpinusa.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=BoardHover_Mod_1.5.4.zip

2: fopen(/home/catfishe/public_html/forum/Themes/default/PersonalMessage.template.php) [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /home/catfishe/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2485

CatfishEd.com

catfished

EDIT 08:58:17 PM Pacific Time. I deleted the temp file in packages and all its contents, then I ran the upgrade again without actually re-uploading the files. I then tried to install the Users Online Today mod and got the same bunch of errors. I then created a new temp file: packages/temp and was able to successfully install the Users Online Today mod. I then installed the Simple Portal mod with no problem. I figured that was good enough for now. This is not a very active forum anyway. I'll try and install more mods tomorrow and if I'm able to do so with no problems and no errors in the logs, I'll consider it "problem solved" although I have no ideas as to what I did to fix it. ::) ::)

CatfishEd.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Atleast you are making progress, which is good. Do keep us updated on this though..
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

catfished

I installed another package and it worked fine except I got two pages of errors in my forum error log. They were all the same except for line numbers and were similar to the ones I posted yesterday. I then installed another mod which worked fine and got no errors. ??? ??? ??? ::) Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for now. These forums I'm playing with don't get much activity.

I have two more forums, one very active and one fairly active. Both are SMF version 1.1.11 so I want to be ready and somewhat experienced before I upgrade them.

LexArma, Thank you so much for all your responses, I really appreciate your efforts.

CatfishEd.com

Advertisement: