News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Seasonal/Holiday Theme Changes

Started by dWhite, October 16, 2009, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dWhite

I am just curious if other forum owners change their themes based on seasons or holidays? Has theme changes like this affected your signups in a way for benefits or loss?

Arantor

We have, in the past, here on SMF - we've done April Fools things in the past (including a theme that looked not unlike that of another well known forum...), as well as things for Halloween and Christmas.

As far as I can tell it didn't have a significant loss of any kind but did reinforce a little of the community spirit.

Liam.

Actually I am working on a holiday mod, that on different events and holidays will display a different effect, but it should be out in a couple of weeks if I can get it done by then.

dWhite

Quote from: iKorp on October 16, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
Actually I am working on a holiday mod, that on different events and holidays will display a different effect, but it should be out in a couple of weeks if I can get it done by then.

Oh, will it be automatic? Like right on Christmas morning the forum event mod initiates and snow falls? Or when New Years comes and you got confetti falling with fireworks?

Blah blah

Quote from: dWhite on October 16, 2009, 07:44:24 PM
Actually I am working on a holiday mod, that on different events and holidays will display a different effect, but it should be out in a couple of weeks if I can get it done by the

Oh, will it be automatic? Like right on Christmas morning the forum event mod initiates and snow falls? Or when New Years comes and you got confetti falling with fireworks?

that would be very cool of that's what he is planning on. I just usually change my board icons to pumpkins or snowmen or something like that. Jusy doing SOMETHING makes everything feel more like a real community

Marcus Forsberg

Quote from: dWhite on October 16, 2009, 07:44:24 PM

That post made me remember the days before I found SMF - Before I had a forum.
I only had a small newbie site, I had just learned HTML and such  basic stuff.
I found all these different scripts on the web I wanted to try and made snowfall and animated fireworks in my header..
I even took haloween photos from one of my games and tried to cut the pumpkins out and place them on my layout with MS Paint... Those were the days. :P

Onto the topic, I did make a full recolor of the theme I had on my old forum last halloween. My members liked it.
Though, I can't tell if it had a posetive inpact on the number of signups, as I never had too many of those anyway. :P

Liam.

That's right, it will be automatic. So far I have Christmas, Valentines, Halloween, and Easter almost done. I will want to get alot more before I release it though, any ideas? I think I'll take it up on the new years idea now.

Also Nas, same! Oh, the good 'ole days!

flapper

butchs

I was thinking about (now I am running out of programming time) then I saw this post so I decided not to.  The code is easy for me but the graphics is not.  I would need to partner with an artist who is willing to spend time to make all the the gif's. Bla.   However, I made some simple standalone mods for my site that does what is mentioned here. 

For the next week I am running the "New Years" Theme with fireworks going off in the background.  [nofollow] http://www.eastcoastrollingthunder.com/smf/index.php [nofollow]
Kinda special for my forum though. ???
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

adbrad

Quote from: iKorp on October 17, 2009, 04:42:57 AM
That's right, it will be automatic. So far I have Christmas, Valentines, Halloween, and Easter almost done. I will want to get alot more before I release it though, any ideas? I think I'll take it up on the new years idea now.

Also Nas, same! Oh, the good 'ole days!

what about bonfire night

Cassiel

I think you just got to be careful there iKorp because part of maintaining a website is being politically correct (unless the point of your site isn't which that's a whole other topic). I can't imagine that non-Christians would take kind to going to an Easter-themed site. Most of the themes for this time of the year are for "Winter" themes anyway with snowflakes and lights and everything. I have seen Christmas theme in some sites thought, but I guess Christmas is just different. But yeah, as i was saying, don't trap people into having to only choose Christian holidays (unless you want to advertise your mod as that). The best bet is straying from the religious holidays.

Also, can't forget about Thanksgiving and Arbor Day. :P

AlexIsaacs

I have done so, yes. Nothing too spectacular though.

Advertisement: