Bypass member's password

Started by ~DS~, January 06, 2010, 06:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~DS~

I'm trying to figure how to bypass the password confirmation in members profile. I limit my members from changing username and display name and must be changed only by me (admin). However I hate to reset password only for them to change the password again after fixing the display name for them. How do I bypass the password in member's profile?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Jerry

When you are on their account screen, changing their display name or what ever... You don't fill in Choose password or verify password unless you want to change their password, leaving those blank with leave their password untouched.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

Arantor

Note that Chrome will pre-fill the password with yours unless it's set to not save passwords. (Documented bug in 2.0)

~DS~

Quote from: Jerry on January 07, 2010, 10:14:32 AM
When you are on their account screen, changing their display name or what ever... You don't fill in Choose password or verify password unless you want to change their password, leaving those blank with leave their password untouched.
Some of them are there by default like this •••••••••••. So change it to blank will not affect?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

Arantor

Chrome has been known to repopulate it after that... though generally making it blank should do it.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2010, 01:24:01 PM
Chrome has been known to repopulate it after that... though generally making it blank should do it.
Ahhh I see, so I am using firefox right now and the password is blank.  ;D
So it was Chrome then? Thanks, problem solved.

Arantor

~DS~

Ok I can't change because a password must be provided.
"Current Password:
For security reasons, your current password is required to make changes to your account."

Jerry

as long as you didn't fill it in on their account page, and it asks for a password after hitting submit it is fine. It asks for a admin password after submitting the changes for security issues. Just don't fill in Choose password or verify password on their account page, and you will be fine.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

~DS~

I am using 2.0 RC2
It doesn't make sense, it's forcing me to enter a member's password which I don't know to apply the chances.

Antechinus

You enter your own admin password if changing someone else's account details.

greyknight17

Is this issue resolved now? As mentioned earlier, you need to enter your own password (as administrator) to make this change. It's just there for security reasons.

Advertisement: