Faithful members... they just don't post!

Started by SnowWidow, January 07, 2010, 11:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnowWidow

I'm hoping for some new ideas ... I've had this forum for over 10 years. http://www.insanitycafe.com We have about 15 faithful members who log in each day. They are real people, who have gone through the domain name changes, software changes, etc. But my problem is... I can't get them to post! I am so tired of threads with only 2-4 replies (mainly myself and 2 other people). We've tried all different topics - even installed an arcade where they have to post once a day to play. We have daily "sign in" threads.. basically, say hi or say what you are up to that day. We have a "Picture of the Day" thread where all you have to do is find a picture - yours, news, whatever - and post it. Nothing is working.

What has other people done in the past to bring members back to life? This isn't just a "time of the year thing"... it's been going on for over a year now.

Deaks

can i ask what is your forums main category?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SnowWidow

Its a general forum. No certain subjects or anything. We have chit chat, debates, family stuff... very generalized.

Deaks

that wont help, there are thousands of general chat forums ... what makes your forum better than them?
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SnowWidow

Nothing really. Maybe the fact that we've had quite a few members who have been around since the beginning... why, I don't know, because getting them to post the last year or so is like pulling teeth. I don't quite understand why they keep logging in, but don't post. I've heard the "don't have time" excuse, but it doesn't make sense... you have time to log in, read the posts that are there, but not reply? Especially when a lot of them log in multiple times a day. I need to find that fire to put under their feet to get it back to how it used to be.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

CultureGlue

Controversy helps
Best-reply of the week
Topic-dude of the month
Make them moderator
Membergroup-system

We can help you to have more posts -> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=358464.0

Be that third person! Help us to find the fourth person..

SnowWidow

Yeah, like I said; I've heard the "don't have time" excuse. Thats about all we hear. Or there "I have nothing to add".

Someone had to have had this same problem on a forum at some point... what did you do to bring it back?
Controversy helps
Best-reply of the week

I like the best reply of the week! Thats something I've never heard of.

kat

I know of a couple of admins who created a couple of sockpuppets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

and had some controversial conversations with himself. Obviously, other members didn't know they were both him. (Admins might figure it, coz of the IP addresses)

That lit the place up, for ages!

CultureGlue

Give them more rights when they have higher posts, award them
Give them a title if they have opened ten or so topics

I like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet) idea to

H

As Runic says, with offtopic forums there really isn't much room for sites that aren't already well established.

QuoteMake them moderator

I can't stress how bad an idea this is. Only frequent, level headed and trusted people should be given moderation rights. It should not be an incentive to encourage posting
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

SnowWidow

We had made one of our more active members a moderator once... soon after her posting went down to almost nothing. She said she felt like it was too much of a responsibility and took the fun out of it. I don't suggest it either.

I would consider us established, in the sense we've been around for over 10 years. The problem I'm having is that we seem to have "died". A couple year ago a person couldn't keep up with all the new posts (or the drama). I just haven't had to deal with it dying off like this. Just need some fresh ideas to get us going again.

Sometimes I wonder if Facebook & MySpace hasn't killed forums.

Gidget Claire

Quote from: SnowWidow on January 07, 2010, 04:31:19 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Facebook & MySpace hasn't killed forums.

I had the very same kind of discussion on my board a few months ago. I had a 'unique' forum, I mean, apparently I was the only person who was running a board about this musician. I tried to advertize it and definitely got new members, but my stats got ridiculously low as time went by. One of my members said she'd mod and bring up new discussions but she did nothing much and now she  hardly posts..... Le sigh.
Anyways,  after a few months I thought I'd start a general discussion about fan communities - would give me an idea on why people had ceased to register/don't create new forums about this musician, etc, and more importantly I'd get answers because after 3 years of running forums, it was obvious my board had no future and I couldn't figure out why.  Somebody pointed out that Twitter and FB are to be held responsible. You can interact with a musician, fi, on Twitter and FB so why even register at a forum where he'd never post? Also, Twitter requires little effort - the 140-character limit, you know.  :D You update any time you want, you can post tonnes of useless stuff without being moderated and more importantly you can interact with virtually anyone, including celebs. I can totally see (now) why it may sound more attractive than a forum.

On topic:
To which extent have you tried to advertize your board?
What are you into? (ie, do you like horses, swimming, do you have any hobby/interest which could lead into developing your forum?)

Friend of the friends!

SnowWidow

To which extent have you tried to advertize your board? A few topsites, list sites, etc over the years but mainly word of mouth which has always seemed to be best. Right now I do have a Facebook fan page that links to my Twitter and I announce new topics, updates & arcade stuff on it a couple times a week.

What are you into? (ie, do you like horses, swimming, do you have any hobby/interest which could lead into developing your forum?) A bunch of us were/are into photography and we do have a photography section, which includes that Picture of the Day, but its gone nowhere. We are all mostly parents, but parenting boards are overdone (we started out as a parenting board, ironically).

ApplianceJunk

Hi,

For a forum that is ten years old I expected to see a lot more topic and replies then I did.
Maybe try to find a niche for your forum.

MH-MINI

I think I have a similiar problem.

I get around 150-200 unique visitors a day but not many post.

But the forum is less than a month old so I guess I still have room to improve.

Gidget Claire

Quote from: SnowWidow on January 07, 2010, 05:23:44 PM
A bunch of us were/are into photography and we do have a photography section, which includes that Picture of the Day, but its gone nowhere. We are all mostly parents, but parenting boards are overdone (we started out as a parenting board, ironically).

There's definitely an opportunity here. Picture of the day sounds a bit like that app on FB (no offence intended) but you could try to organize some photography  contest and use your FB/Twitter account to advertize it. Also, I'd suggest you go look for friends on Twitter, try to find people who seem interesting (ie they follow somebody you know/an actor you like, etc) and add them. Some of them will start to follow you. They'll see your updates and links to your board and there's chances they'll visit & want to get an account. That's how I got some of my forum members. :)

Friend of the friends!

ApplianceJunk

Quote150-200 unique

The percent of unique visitors that become members and then post is always going to be low.

Looking at our Google Analytics stats we get 1500-2000 unique visitors a day, but average topic per day is only 4.8 and average post only 24.25 per day with a average registrations of about 6 per day.

You can view some of our public stats at this URL.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=stats

With only 150-200 unique visitors a day you can't expect much daily activity.

MH-MINI

Yeah as I said, the forum's less than a month old. So there's still time to improve.

wildebeast

Nice looking forum - I have just joined under my real name - 'Damien'

You mention that a lot of people like photography - I do as well - one of my hobbies are storm photos, but also a whole mess of pics I have taken here in japan.

Advertisement: