News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

?'s about a "News Article" forum and permissions

Started by TemperamentalMan, January 08, 2010, 02:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TemperamentalMan

I'm trying to create a "News Articles" forum in the Admin area of my forums.  The Admin, or whomever has privileges, can post a news article as a new topic and through Simple Portal have it appear on the portal page.  This is fairly simple obviously.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to allow a guest to view the forum article from the portal, but NOT be able to view the forum.  The "News Articles" forum is set up to "Auto-Tweet" and brings unregistered guests to the home page.  But, because of permissions, they can't view the article.

To go one step further in explaining this (if you're confused, don't worry so am I)...I create the "Front Page post" in the "News Articles" forum.  I then create a link in that post to a duplicate somewhere else in the forum (in an appropriate thread) for members to interact, reply, etc.  This keeps the integrity of my main article in tact, allows instant tweeting on any topic I post regardless of content.  However, guests can't view it.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions...

Kays

I'm a bit confused also especially since I don't use SP. Their support forums might be the best place to ask this.

But if it's anything like using ssi_boardNews. Then viewing is dependant on board viewing privileges. If the board isn't public, then guests can't view it on the front page.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Advertisement: