News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

From the Team Blogosphere, to the Community, that time has come.

Started by Arantor, January 08, 2010, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Quote from: α¢αηѕ on March 20, 2010, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: Arantor on March 20, 2010, 07:04:38 PM
Don't apologise. Like I said, let me be damned for who I am.

Theirs nothing wrong with being you Arantor.

Unless of course it were, say, Pee Wee Herman being Arantor.  That's just wrong.  Hhhhhhhheh-heh!

Arantor

Pfft, my secret's out!!

On a related note, I wonder if it is disturbing that I have to use Wikipedia to find out who Pee Wee Herman is.

Acans

I don't know him either, but you gotta love Wikipedia knowing everything.

Wikipedia also knows when Clint Eastwood lost his Virginity.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Orstio

Any search for Pee Wee Herman, on any media, is disturbing.

DoctorMalboro

kat

He looks like Rowan Atkinson...

PeeWee, not Arantor.

I didn't know who he was, either.

Arantor

I definitely don't look like Rowan Atkinson, far too hairy for that.

Arantor

Didn't I post a picture of me a bit back playing with a Lego dragon, showing my mid-back-length hair+bushy beard?

kat

Don't remember seeing that.

You're not my long-lost son, are you?

I have the same attributes.

kat

Mine's a bit fluffier and my beard's seriously bushy, at the mo.

I'll see if I can get the camera to do something...

cutelover007

http://gupshupclub.cz.cc" title="GUPSHUP CLUB" target="_blank">

www.gupshupclub.cz.cc

Arantor

In hindsight, I don't regret this decision - we're now 3 months on from the post in question, and I'm pleased in a weird sort of way that I did this.

I've been able to say what I feel lately, and some people have shouted that I was offensive, brash, blunt... whatever. I'm still amazed I got on the team in the first place, knowing I carried that anger at people who can't be bothered to learn a little bit about running a website or can't be bothered to do things to help themselves.

Please don't expect any further support from me, I doubt it'll happen, especially with some people making veiled jabs at me in certain places (and you know exactly who you are, 'Friend').

I'd like to go over some ground a few people have asked me about lately.

1. Will I rejoin the team especially the Cust team, as there are hints that mods are taking weeks and weeks to get approved?
Cust team - not a chance. Not only to avoid the burn out mentioned here, but also because I know I'm just going to argue and disagree with certain people on the team, who I disagreed with before more than once and held my tongue more than I should have over it.

Support team? NO way, I'm too fond of being free to say how I feel.

Dev team? Well, funny you should ask. I asked a few weeks ago about helping out with the dev team, not wishing to start looking at any bugs or anything for fear of treading on anyone's toes until I heard back.

I've submitted bug fixes before, some complete, some less so, some... not even looked at after months.

The bit that galls me somewhat? Had I just been given an answer one way or the other, that'd have been fine, we could all move on. Had I even had something that amounted to an official response, that would be something. But the ONLY commentary on it was a conversation via IM in IRC with someone who voiced their personal opinion. The fact I agreed with that is actually irrelevant. I've heard nothing from the folks that make such decisions, not even a simple 'Thanks but no thanks'.

And the more I look around the more I realise that here is increasingly a place I don't want to be. There's some fun people here, sure, and people that need help, but I find I don't want to provide it because all that happens is I end up getting frustrated by it all.

So, if the powers that be in the team do read this, if you had doubts about my dedication, that's fine, but saying something to me about it, or even just acknowledging that it happened would have gone a long way. For those who will inevitably now start the derision about my lack of dedication (and yes I know you're out there), if you'd sent a message offering your time and energy and heard nothing for 2 weeks, I think you'd be similarly irritated, so please consider this withdrawal of said offer. I have better things to do with my time than be kept in limbo as if I'm some dog waiting for a bone.

In a twist of irony, I've been posting in this community a year tomorrow, been a year of ups, downs, highs and lows, and it just seems to be just a series of bum notes, because too many people want things for themselves without any consideration for how others feel, and this extends into the team in many ways.

So, au revoir, have fun, see ya later.

If anyone wants me, I'll be on SimpleDesk.

Deaks

Quote from: Arantor on April 06, 2010, 04:51:15 PM
1. Will I rejoin the team especially the Cust team, as there are hints that mods are taking weeks and weeks to get approved?
Cust team - not a chance. Not only to avoid the burn out mentioned here, but also because I know I'm just going to argue and disagree with certain people on the team, who I disagreed with before more than once and held my tongue more than I should have over it.

Not just mods, damn there has been no theme approved for ages, and there is no-one on cus team are a suitable level to judge a theme everyone is a modder, sorry Nas this includes you, not since i was removed has there been any real theme checking, and the very few that do trickle through have so much wrong with them the team should really close theme site off, damn for amount of mods coming through whats the point on new submissions to  cus site ... dont get me wrong the 2 others who did theme approval when I went grey did a few but even with my friends badge I was still doing alot and helping out, now both them are grey  then themes are dead.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Orstio

QuotePlease don't expect any further support from me, I doubt it'll happen, especially with some people making veiled jabs at me in certain places (and you know exactly who you are, 'Friend').

All my jabs are above the belt, I swear.  :P

Kill Em All

... hope to talk to you soon Arantor. Take care of yourself.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

hadesflames

Quote from: Runic on April 06, 2010, 06:09:48 PM
Quote from: Arantor on April 06, 2010, 04:51:15 PM

Not just mods, damn there has been no theme approved for ages, and there is no-one on cus team are a suitable level to judge a theme everyone is a modder, sorry Nas this includes you, not since i was removed has there been any real theme checking, and the very few that do trickle through have so much wrong with them the team should really close theme site off, damn for amount of mods coming through whats the point on new submissions to  cus site ... dont get me wrong the 2 others who did theme approval when I went grey did a few but even with my friends badge I was still doing alot and helping out, now both them are grey  then themes are dead.

Cust. Team has gone to the dogs. I submitted a VERY simple mod a little bit over a month ago. Still nothing on that. Really discourages people from submitting mods. They're not going to get approved for months, regardless of how small, so why bother?

To make matters worse, in the team's time of need, they refuse to recruit certain people that can obviously help out based on an unjust biased opinion. A huge round a applause to the lot of you. ::)

live627

hadesflames why do I agree with most of your posts? haha ::)

By the way, if anyone wants to know, even though the cust. team reviewed one of my mods a bit over a week ago, I have o intention of fixing it or submitting any more. I lack free time, but that factor does not influence my decision. I know there are others who agree with me, past and future authors. Isn't that wonderful? :P

Advertisement: