Wich is the best way to use smf mods?

Started by luuuciano, January 12, 2010, 04:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luuuciano

Hi!

I was looking the mod directory, and I see a lot of them really interesting and useful...
but... wich is the best way to use them?

I mean, if I plan to use them in smf 2RC2... then I will need to mod all of them again in the next 2.0 release, and so on, in any future updates... not to mention mod updates itself...
it is a pain in the ass... :)

is that the only way to do it?

it is planned something like "plugins" system for smf?

best regards!
luciano
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Arantor

The best way to use them is to use the Package Manager in the admin area, which should automate them.

You will need to reinstall them up until 2.0 final whereafter future changes to the 2.0 series should be reasonably lightweight and not likely to break too many mods.

A plugin system is not planned at this time as far as I know, mainly because it can actually very drastically limit the potential for mods (virtually every mod I ever wrote would be immensely more complex if it had to fight with a plugin system)

Note also that WordPress, which is the main comparison drawn, is incredibly easy to bog down in performance issues; I've seen WP installations crawl along because the plugins couldn't cleanly interact, meaning they all did their own queries - worst case I think I ever saw was a WP blog requiring over 400 database queries on every single page.

luuuciano

thanks for the reply Arantor!

btw, the package manager will work with any theme? or just the default one?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Arantor

For 2.x, the package manager will offer you the choice to attempt to install on custom themes - not all themes will work if they have very different coding, in which case there is no alternative but to do a manual installation of purely the theme part of the code then. Usually mod authors will help you out if that's the case.

Kill Em All

Reading up on those Docs should give you further insight to. Arantor covered a bunch of it though.

Package Manager
Current Theme
Themes And Layout

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

catfished

Quote from: Arantor on January 12, 2010, 04:59:25 PM

You will need to reinstall them up until 2.0 final whereafter future changes to the 2.0 series should be reasonably lightweight and not likely to break too many mods.

I wouldn't mind the reinstalling but a lot of the mods don't get upgraded to the latest RC for quite awhile after release so when the latest RC first comes out, we lose a lot of mods until the authors get a chance to update them.

Please understand that I'm not complaining since the mod writers are all doing it for no compensation and have full time jobs or are full time students, in some cases they are doing both. I'm just pointing out the inconveniences for us lazy users. ;D :P

You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Arantor

To be fair though, the majority of mods probably will work reasonably well on 2.0 RC3 when it comes out - there's less major overhaul and more minor tweakage there.

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

catfished

Quote from: Arantor on January 13, 2010, 06:09:54 AM
To be fair though, the majority of mods probably will work reasonably well on 2.0 RC3 when it comes out - there's less major overhaul and more minor tweakage there.

Well thanks for the info, that's good news.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Arantor

It all depends on the amount of changes to the theme they do. Ones that do lots of theme edits may need updates - others less so. Most of the ones I have left should need little or no change :)

Advertisement: