CPU overload from Simple Machines

Started by Flavious, January 12, 2010, 07:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stfox100

What script? You just said you disabled AEVA ?
What are you running for CAPTCHA and anti-spam measures ?  It's the index page that's using all  the resources. As far as I can see, unless you can explain this "script" you're talking about.

Flavious

There's no script, no plugins, no mod. The host used the word "script" to describe simple machines. It is coming from the index.php.. but how? Where?

Flavious

There has to be some code in simple machines that gets stuck in loop when someone posts - why, how or when I have no clue.

Here's what I did to get it to stop:

I could make the CPU go nutz by clicking on "Show unread posts since your last visit" or, if I clicked the first Board I could make it rev the CPU up to 80-90% again. If I clicked on any *other* board, it would work.

So I looked at the listing of last posts for the day. I then went into the database and deleted the last one posted to the board that was locking things up. Problem solved.

However, this keeps happening! I can't duplicate it... But it was happening way more often when we had the AVEA mod on.

chep

It wouldn't hurt to look into your slow queries log and see if there is a specific query running at the time the CPU load spikes. I would also look to see if there are interesting entries in the php error log. The source of the problem could really be a lot of things..

EDIT Just read this below. I would probably get a dedicated server.

Quote from: Flavious on January 19, 2010, 06:18:31 PM
Quote from: Flavious on January 19, 2010, 02:51:42 PM
About 100,000 unique visitors, 4-5 million page views. Worth a dedicated sever?

Per month. Sorry...

Well I killed that video mod and it stopped... just waiting to see if it happens again.

tumbleweed

Neg no dedi server needed in this issue.

Like the op said its some sort of looping issue going on somewere.

Frank
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

chep

I didn't see any clear indicator of a loop. How did you come to that conclusion? If it's that evident then you can probably already conclude where the bug is with some degree of accuracy. It would be a bug somewhere and not really a server performance concern (although it degrades server performance). I didn't pick any of that up here in this topic..

tumbleweed

My post was in regards to your statment that a dedi server was need for this forum. Which is just not the case.

I came to my conclusion only from the statments of the OP and the things that he did to recreate and or stop the server usage issue.

Frank
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

chep

I didn't say it was needed. A simple debate of terms but I said "I would get". There are some great advantages to working out these sort of problems when you have complete control.

At any rate I don't know what an OP is. This may not be a loop and could be a sql performance tuning issue or even something else completely. Looking at the entire server and how it is configured, tuned and including any special or interesting errors would be all great things to consider (especially if nobody has clear evidence of code doing a loop and which I cannot see as a logical conclusion here just yet). Otherwise if there is a code bug then by all means please help get it fixed for us all. I just think that sort of conclusion should be vetted in another "board" as opposed to server performance.

stfox100

OP is original Poster, you.
Sounds to me like a user issue. I'd look at mt access logs to see who's been in, especially concerning the guy who made the post you deleted.
I don't see anything obviously wong in the source code. Wondering why you have, <!-- <script type="text/javascript" src="ad-scroller.js"></script> -->

Way up top, when the rest of the code for the script is almost at the bottom of the page.
And I still didn't see an answer for what you're using for anti-spam measures. As far as I know, bots are getting stuck at the index page and keep trying to dig in further. Do you have the rest of our forum blocked for bots? And if so, is it done correctly.

Advertisement: