News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Cant install packages/mods on SMF 2.0RC2

Started by Leemy, January 13, 2010, 11:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leemy

When I try to install a package, i get this error:

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

My host and I have checked the permissions/ownership and they say its all okay.

FTP connection was tested.

Please help

catfished

Try adding a temp folder in your packages directory. That usually solves the problem.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Afro

Quote from: catfished on January 13, 2010, 11:38:01 PM
Try adding a temp folder in your packages directory. That usually solves the problem.

it does help but usually auto deletes after one attempt. isnt there a way to make it stay ?

catfished

Quote from: Afro on January 14, 2010, 08:30:01 AM

it does help but usually auto deletes after one attempt. isn't there a way to make it stay ?

Hi Afro,

First of all, I am not that knowledgeable about this stuff. I installed temp folders in the packages folder on a few forums when I was getting that error. It fixed the problem so that I can install packages on them without any problems. I didn't even realize they auto deleted until I read your post. I checked and sure enough, all of them had disappeared but I'm still able to install packages.  
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Afro

Quote from: catfished on January 14, 2010, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: Afro on January 14, 2010, 08:30:01 AM

it does help but usually auto deletes after one attempt. isn't there a way to make it stay ?

Hi Afro,

First of all, I am not that knowledgeable about this stuff. I installed temp folders in the packages folder on a few forums when I was getting that error. It fixed the problem so that I can install packages on them without any problems. I didn't even realize they auto deleted until I read your post. I checked and sure enough, all of them had disappeared but I'm still able to install packages.  

yea, they auto delete after installing the mod for you. i said that above to see if this temp thing could be integrated permanently into the system

Leemy

I added the temp folder and set it to 777.

I got the "test successful" as before and this time was able to click "install".

It says installed successfully: "
The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes. "

BUT there are no changes to the files! DateModified is still old. :(

Afro

that means you have to manually add the codes to the files it happens to me all the tme

Leemy

Quote from: Afro on January 15, 2010, 04:57:49 AM
that means you have to manually add the codes to the files it happens to me all the tme

That's not exactly a solution... Why is it happening like this?

Afro

I dont really know but i guess arantor knows why//he will be around here soon/

adbrad

i had the same problem the only way i got it working was a reinstall of smf  mind that was only on a test forum so it was no great loss

Afro

Quote from: adbrad on January 19, 2010, 06:04:51 AM
i had the same problem the only way i got it working was a reinstall of smf  mind that was only on a test forum so it was no great loss

Yea, reinstalling is good but i tried all that once and lost over 20,000 posts

adbrad

Quote from: Afro on January 19, 2010, 06:12:47 AM
Quote from: adbrad on January 19, 2010, 06:04:51 AM

Yea, reinstalling is good but i tried all that once and lost over 20,000 posts

opps not good however i always reconnect to the same db it don't need to be empty to install the software

Afro

i was kind of moving to a dedicated server then, i got confused somewhere in the pack .. though the database is still there and contains all the lost post but i think it will cause much more trouble if i try to use it now...
so i vetoed forfeiting the lost posts...

Leemy

I can confirm this is not an SMF issue but rather a server setting of some sort.  An installation of joomla on my server is having a similar "we did the action and its logged in the DB, but file itself wasnt written/updated" sort of error.

Tyrsson

Sounds like you may have a problem with the apache module mod_security or mod_security2. If you can link us to a What is a phpinfo() file? then we can tell you if this is the problem.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Arantor

It's usually a server-specific issue, for the reasons Tyrsson mentioned. There is a mod you can use to prevent deletion of the temp folder.

Afro

Quote from: Arantor on January 22, 2010, 03:44:13 AM
It's usually a server-specific issue, for the reasons Tyrsson mentioned. There is a mod you can use to prevent deletion of the temp folder.

whats the name ?

Afro

Try this link and tell me what to do.. i configured this server on my own and i must admit it was my first time.

http://www.afrowall.com/phpinfo.php

if there is anything that i need to enable or disable to help performance and help mod installations, plz point me there.

Arantor

If I could remember the name I would have posted it. You could always try searching the mod site for 'temp', you know.

Afro

Leemy

Quote from: Tyrsson™ on January 22, 2010, 02:41:38 AM
Sounds like you may have a problem with the apache module mod_security or mod_security2. If you can link us to a What is a phpinfo() file? then we can tell you if this is the problem.
Here you go, please remove the space in the link to make it valid
http://www.bhangrateams forum.com/phpinfo.php

greyknight17

Has this issue been resolved now? If not, you can try using the No Temp Removal mod but I doubt it will work if you said the temp folder trick didn't cut it.

What permissions did you set for the Packages folder? Try to CHMOD it to 755 or 777 if necessary (and if your host allows it) to see if there is any difference.

Advertisement: