SMF forum posts to Twitter / Facebook (without mods/coding!)

Started by Mr. Jinx, January 15, 2010, 10:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeestonk

Hi, an old newbie here. Most of this stuff is way over my head, although our forum has been up and running great for a year...he said fingers crossed. I'm so bad at this I don't know how to start a new post here....can anyone tell me how to do so or maybe have a "simple" answer here? I am running 1.1.11 and want to add the ability for our readers to subscribe to an rss feed of our whole site. Is there a mod I can download for that and not have to delve into the code? Is it possible already there and I just don't know how to use it? The URL is http://golftipsforum(dot)isuckatgolf.net/

I have a facebook fan page for the site, will try to figure out this, as it's very cool. It seems you need both a facebook page and a twitter account to make this work? Am I correct. Sorry for the lame-o questions. Sucks being stupid!

Thanks,
ken

yankeestonk

tried to set up the twitter feed, saying invalid feed or URL. I'm assuming there is a mod or something I need to "turn on" on my forum to have it generate RSS? Here's what I typed in http://www.golftipsforum.isuckatgolf.net/forum/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news

However I didn't download any rss mod or turn anything on, was I supposed to?

Thanks,
Ken

[unplugged]

Just have them click on the link at the very bottom of your site that says RSS. They'll be able to a feed of your whole site from there. EDIT: The one that isn't there:o
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

yankeestonk

Hi Sunking...

Am to take from this that there is supposed to be an RSS feed icon on the bottom of my site? I certainly didn't remove it! (don't know how!) Any suggestions..

Thanks

[unplugged]

Apparently I have been away from SMF1 for too long! I just visited two separate SMF1-enabled sites and neither had it. I am on my way now to sit in the timeout chair......
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

yankeestonk

I found a tab under News and Newsletters that said to check to enable XML and Rss feeds and I checked it. Still not working and sitll no RSS icon to click anywhere I can see...

..and you can come out of the corner now. You've been punished enough. ;0)

yankeestonk

kept trying and finally it accepted my feed! Still have no rss link on the forum though. And not sure if it worked as so far nothing is posted. Maybe the posts have to be new since the feed went live. Going back to post something to test it out. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for your help!
ken

[unplugged]

PM'd you some info so we don't steal this thread any more. :D

</hijack>

simplefan90

I never used Twitter and never will.

People that buy stocks for Twitter are totally out of their minds. I am also getting sick and tired of Michael (Techcrunch) babbling about twitter in his blog.

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: simplefan90 on February 16, 2010, 06:54:37 PM

People that buy stocks for Twitter are totally out of their minds. I am also getting sick and tired of Michael (Techcrunch) babbling about twitter in his blog.

for personal use i have to agree but as a means of free advertising for your site then ya cant really knock the use of twitter and other social networking sites -
if you have something you want to promote, such as a website on the internet, then you want it to be to a captive audience.... like people sitting on there computer on the internet for hours at a time staring at a site that has your site linked on it with feeds from your site being posted for people to view and follow to your site

simplefan90

Quote from: stikkki on February 16, 2010, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: simplefan90 on February 16, 2010, 06:54:37 PM

for personal use i have to agree but as a means of free advertising for your site then ya cant really knock the use of twitter and other social networking sites -
if you have something you want to promote, such as a website on the internet, then you want it to be to a captive audience.... like people sitting on there computer on the internet for hours at a time staring at a site that has your site linked on it with feeds from your site being posted for people to view and follow to your site

I used twitterfeed and the twitter mod (not worth it because of the advertisment on the bottom), all they do is draw bots to your website. I have never seen anyone registering when there were like 20 guest. I did an experiment where I closed the forum for guest and published a topic, there were like 20 guests and they were there for like 20 minutes.

There is no way someone will look at the same screen for 20 minutes (unless they have no life, lol).

*The site was new installed to, almost nothing on it.

[unplugged]

So you're saying that Twitterfeed isn't worth your time because you installed it on a new site with almost nothing on it and cannot figure out why, out of 20 visitors, no one registered for your site? So, you closed the forum, wrote a topic and published it to Twitter. You do realize that by turning off your site to guests does not remove your links from anywhere, right? So these guests would have clicked on this link, been taken to that topic on your site, and then be greeted with a "Please login or register to view this topic." So yes, it will show that there are 20 people viewing the topic page. As soon as someone leaves your site, their name isn't removed from your Who's Online list. It will be there for as long as your time threshold is set. Mine is an hour. So if a visitor clicks a link that brings them to my site, they read through the post, or simply aren't interested, do you think they will navigate back to the main page before leaving? No. They'll close the tab and resume their surfing elsewhere. It's going to still show them on that page.

Everyone is entitle to opinions, etc. But damn, look at the whole picture. Content is what gets people to register, not how many tweets you can cram into your feed per day.

And no, I do not own any stock in Twitter. I do have a feed connected to my site, but I am not personally an active "tweeter".

[That's my ten cents.]

SN

How do i get this to display on my FB fan page and not my personal FB page?

bugzy

Wow this is a goodway to advertise or market a forum website. Thanks you very much for sharing :)

Mick.

Its ok.   Ive been using this for a few months now since the "other" mod puts an unwanted link in the footer under smf.

You can post from any board to twitterfeed if youre using the RSS Feed mod by vbgamer.

I setup at least 20 urls to the feeder from across my boards.     

Arttu

2by2host

It's been reported in our Twitter mod thread that "you can only post 10 messages per day onto your Facebook wall with this that is all you can post there .
Not more messages... too bad.." Please check out our Twitter mod b/c we believe it's a very good alternative. By the way, please provide twitterfeed support in your own thread ;-)

Regards,
2by2host.com team

rd

Quote from: 2by2host on March 16, 2010, 03:27:25 PM
It's been reported in our Twitter mod thread that "you can only post 10 messages per day onto your Facebook wall with this that is all you can post there .
Not more messages... too bad.." Please check out our Twitter mod b/c we believe it's a very good alternative. By the way, please provide twitterfeed support in your own thread ;-)

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Your twitter mod doesn't even publish to Facebook, that is why you are calling it "Twitter Mod" Also why are you bringing up Facebook in a topic about Twitter?

Maybe you didn't quote o.O

[unplugged]

Regards,
2by2host.com team

That's twice you've "suggested" using your mod. To me, that's just plain hijacking a thread. Personally, I don't use your mod because 1) it didn't work, even on a vanilla install, and 2) I thought having your copyright on every page for such an insignificant mod wasn't worth it. That, IMO, should be reserved for large mods like portals, galleries, and such. You are obviously free to do as you wish with your mod, and I am free to not choose it. Don't come into Mr Jinx's thread for his mod trying to sell your own. You have a thread. Provide a good working mod and you can get people to download it that way.

2by2host

Quote from: Royalduke on March 16, 2010, 04:09:51 PM

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Your twitter mod doesn't even publish to Facebook, that is why you are calling it "Twitter Mod" Also why are you bringing up Facebook in a topic about Twitter?

Maybe you didn't quote o.O

Are you sure you used the same mod? It does support FB very well.  By the way, this topic is about Twitter or Facebook. Please read it;-)

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Advertisement: