News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2 + SMF 2 - how?

Started by marazmus, January 16, 2010, 03:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marazmus

Hello. How can I "merge" two SMF2 forums into one? Any converter maybe? Thank you.

ThorstenE

sorry, but currently there is no merging script available for SMF 2 (which is still under developement). This is something on my to-do list for the next weeks but for now, I'm sorry..

marazmus

nivlac

TE,

I'm checking to see if you have made any progress on your merging script for SMF 2.

Thanks...

aED

I have a merging script for SMF  which I used for a client of mine. It is already working but it has no interface yet so I still need to work on that before I share it here :)

nivlac

Okay, thanks. I ended up doing a manual merge in phpMyAdmin and only lost a few posts out all, so I didn't do as bad as I feared I would. But, I look forward to your merge mod as it would make it so much easier.

aED

I wonder how  you managed to merge it using PMA as I know the ids would conflict to the other database :)

Mr. Doug

--
Doug Hardman
doug (at) puttertalk (dot) com

nivlac

Actually, I didn't give you the whole story with my forum. I had already upgraded from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC2 but then couldn't go live as the old version was using a registration password mod which effectively screened non-alumni from joining because we only gave the password out to alumni that wanted to join and changed it weekly. That particular mod had basically become abandoned and I found someone that was willing to code a new one.

In the mean time, the old forum kept growing and the upgraded one had some stuff added by the owner/admin, even though I asked her not to add anything. My delima was I had two 2.0 RC2 versions that were identical up to a certain date and then the database diverged.

I think I used INSERT IGNORE. I'm not too good at remembering sql commands but it was one added the rows that were different and ignored the ones that were the same. So I only lost the ones that had identical ID, which turned out to be less than ten in the whole database. Of course I did this in a duplicate forum and once I was sure I didn't loose too much I moved the old forum and copied the duplicate to the old folder and used repair_settings.php to update the paths.

bhathiya9999

Still it is under construction means we can take it in few days then SMF -2 can connect

Liam.

Even if it takes months, I'm looking forward to this/these merging mods ;)

Advertisement: