Zenphoto integration (can I get some help)

Started by [-Trogan-], January 19, 2010, 10:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[-Trogan-]

This is what I posted in the Zenphoto forums. (to no avail yet)

-Trogan-
            Member                                    Any way to combine my smf members with zenphoto?         Posted 3 days ago #                                                sbillard
            Chief Developer                                    Please look at the lib-auth.php script         Posted 2 days ago #                                                -Trogan-
            Member                                    Is there a link?         Posted 1 day ago #                                                sbillard
            Chief Developer                                    propbably not since it is not a web page but part of zenphoto.         Posted 1 day ago #                                                -Trogan-
            Member                                    urm where is it in zenphoto?
and how would i make it recognize the smf members         Posted 1 hour ago #                                                acrylian
            Developer                                    <blockquote>urm where is it in zenphoto?</blockquote>Within the ZP-Core  folder like all Zenphoto core files are...<blockquote>and how would i make it recognize the smf members</blockquote>By modifing it to do so. That's your job we can't answer.         Posted 1 hour ago #                                                -Trogan-
            Member                                    I have no idea on how to start modifying it. I'll probably post this in the SMF forums for help then.
(that is of course if i have your permission? (they won't do it without it))[/l]
soooooooo. Any ideas?[/list]

[-Trogan-]

[-Trogan-]

[-Trogan-]

Bump.

really can i please get some support here<?>

i'll give you any files you need to get it started.

Norv

Sorry for the delay.
Is Zenphoto a free or paid software? What license do they have, if you could tell?

It's okay to bump your topics ... (the only "rule" is to please let 24 hours pass, because otherwise it really doesn't help).
Please post that file they mention, then, perhaps someone can take a look.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

[-Trogan-]

Zenphoto is a GPL license and open source.

you can find it at http://www.zenphoto.org.

can you help?

Norv

In my understanding (note that I could be wrong) GPL licenses are not compatible with many other licenses, including SM license, because GPL licenses typically require that any derivatives of the software (like the bridge) and the software using them (like SMF) to be distributed under GPL as well. SM license is not GPL, so a bridge between them cannot be officially distributed by Simple Machines. (it can be written, but only for "personal use" if I may say so).
IMHO, and note that it's only my personal feeling here, that's a little demotivating, I'm afraid.
On the other hand, there can be exceptions to the above, it is my understanding that GPL version 2 and 3 were written to address such issues (because original GPL was way too restrictive).

I don't really have the time right now, I'd like to take a look, I'm not sure when though.
It's good to know for others that might check it out, in any case.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

[-Trogan-]

Well i think it was gpl but i could be wrong.

but thanks anyway.

hopefully we can get this going

[-Trogan-]

ok (srry for the double post)

but i found this out.

QuoteSure, we are open source (GPL v2). Just let us know if you manage anything regarding integration so that we maybe can add an entry for that on our extensions section.

this is the post right after the above quote in my first post.

[-Trogan-]

BUMP{yet again}

Any news on if this will work?

[-Trogan-]

[-Trogan-]

mjahkoh

Mr Newbie how far did u get. got similar worries

Kindred

Quote from: Norv on February 01, 2010, 06:47:23 PM
In my understanding (note that I could be wrong) GPL licenses are not compatible with many other licenses, including SM license, because GPL licenses typically require that any derivatives of the software (like the bridge) and the software using them (like SMF) to be distributed under GPL as well. SM license is not GPL, so a bridge between them cannot be officially distributed by Simple Machines. (it can be written, but only for "personal use" if I may say so).

GPL just plain sucks...   Unless zenphoto specifically grants an exception to the GPL restrictions (and has signoff by all copyright holders to do so), we can't build an official bridge.

That being said, none of our developers are currently working on bridges - we are working on the release of 2.0 and will take up bridges and other add-ones after that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: