News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

PM text in email and reply address

Started by Brahman, January 19, 2010, 01:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahman

Hi,

two features I cannot find (I hope they are there):

1.) I do not want the PM text to be sent in the notification email, but the member should log-in to the forum to read his message, if they have been notified of having received a PM.

2.) I do not want the aministrators valid email address to show in the PM notification - too often the members hit reply and the admin gets the message (sometimes revealing confidential infos that were in the PM).

Have I missed them or are those features really not there?

Thanks,

Brahman

B

1) I'm not sure if this setting affects PM notifications as well as posts/topics notifications, but try Admin > Configuration > Features and Options... > General > Don't allow post text in notifications.

2) Admin > Configuration > Server Settings... > General provides you with a place to change the Webmaster Email Address.

B

Conquer Club - Free Global Domination Game
Think the board game Risk on steroids!

Brahman

Thanks for the advice.

Quote1) I'm not sure if this setting affects PM notifications as well as posts/topics notifications, but try Admin > Configuration > Features and Options... > General > Don't allow post text in notifications.

-No it does not, I tried it.

2) Admin > Configuration > Server Settings... > General provides you with a place to change the Webmaster Email Address.

But then I will also not receive the system notifications (f.e. new member registration). So that is probably not such a good idea.

Would anybody know more about this?

Cheers,

Brahman

greyknight17

Hi Brahman, is this issue resolved now? If not, below are my replies to your two inquiries:

1. Open up /Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php:

Code (Search for) Select
$txt['pm_email'] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.' . "\n\n" . 'The message they sent you was:' . "\n\n" . 'MESSAGE';

Code (Replace with) Select
$txt['pm_email'] = 'You have just been sent a personal message by SENDER on ' . $context['forum_name'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email. Login to the forum to see the personal message.';

2. Why won't you receive the notifications? That webmaster email is mainly used for sending out emails as the sender address. You can even put in a dummy email address there. So even if a new member registers and you set to receive notifications for those, you will be receiving them since you are an administrator.

Brahman

Thank you for your help -- I did the manual modifications you suggested and after flushing the cache it works beautifully. This solves point 1.)

2.) Was solved by installing the "Improved Webmaster Email Settings 1.1" mod and setting as an email address an address from which any replies will get bounced back to the sender.

Now I am happy with the setup and the issue is closed.

Very nice to see this excellent SMF support. You guys are doing a great job! :)

Regards,

B.

Advertisement: