Hide Topics from Guests

Started by Suki, January 22, 2010, 09:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsterdaddy

You lost me there Spoogs, checked Members, was no "Search Engines", or Members>>Search Engines>> Settings, I'm assuming you mean "follow the trail inside "Members".  Do you mean make a user group for them?

I'm confused now. Why not a membergroup for Bots?

And do we know if Search Engines and/or bots recognize when they fall into a member group, and abide by their permissions?

Bots seem to go where they want, and do what they want to.

I don't mind that so much, except when they are from Moscow, Beijing, Ho Chi Min City, Gaza Strip, Etc.

I do not like those bots in my site, I don't care who thinks what, I'm bright enough to "read", and most of the hacking is coming from Communist Bloc countries.

But I'm getting off track. I don't want to hinder the English speaking country bots, like Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask, etc, but I need to control guests too.

Not all guests are friendly. Come to think of it, not all bots are either.

Anyone have something constructive?

Oya

you haven't turned it on

admin > core features > search engine tracking (click the power button)

and actually i thought he was being quite constructive, nice to know others around here appreciate each other

hamsterdaddy

LOL @ Oya, he was, I just phased that wrong.   ::)

Re: "and actually i thought he was being quite constructive, nice to know others around here appreciate each other"...

I wouldn't have made it as far at my site were it not for the great people here.  :D

I never saw a "core features" in Admin before, But I never had many permissions as admin at the two sites I helped manage, I am seeing a lot of new stuff as "Webmaster Newbie", LOL...

Will look for that as soon as I post another article or two at my NFL magazine...

3 weeks old, but with a healthy chat room already, for the number of members I have:

http://saintstailgate.com/forum/index.php

Thanxs, will be back after I check later.

datarry

hi  then do we get  2.0 RC3 wersion of this mod  ?

hxxp:www.datarry.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]

JessyKa

Hello,
I have installed this mod to keep guests from reading the postings without being registered. This works fine als long as they use the standard welcome page and go on.
But if they use the "http://forum.xxxxxx.xxx/index.php?action=recent" -link they conveniently can read all the postings.

As suggested at the first page of this thread I checked out the display.php and found the line
      if ($context['user']['is_guest']) redirectexit ('action=login');
but it was there, yet.

So this line doesn't seem to affect the latest-posting-page. Is this a bug or/and is there a way to avoid guests reading? I certainly could shut the forum to guests, but the nice thing about this modification is, that guests get an impression about whats going on and can take part if they really want.
Thanks a lot for any help,
Jessy

Matthew K.

I will take a peak at this later today - Hopefully. However, this definitely should not be occurring.

Oya

of course it will, you only modified the thread view, not the recent pages, nor the rss feeds

looking back through the thread, it was mentioned months ago that there were holes in the mod...

JessyKa

Oya

the answer is, the mod never solved that problem in the first place so it will always occur, rather than "definitely should not" occur.

JessyKa

Thanks, Oya!
Do you know another Mod that does completely block the user from reading posts?

Labradoodle-360,
this would certainly be a great improvement. Letting the guests see what is going on is much friendlier than just givin them the advice to register!

Greetings,
Jessy

Matthew K.

I am no longer the author - directly, at least. Thanks for the input JessyKa.

JessyKa

Hello Labradoodle,
I am not sure, if I got it right (sorry, I am German).
You're not responsible for this mod anymore, is that right?
So, is there someone else taking care for this mod? Is there a schedule for optimization? Otherwise I would have to uninstall it, and this would be too bad.
Bye
Jessy

jjd1

Hey there, this is just the mod I am looking for, but when I try to install to SMF version 1.1.12 (the latest 1.x.x), it says this mod is corrupt or does not work with my version... any chance I could beg for a compatible version?  Thanks!

Matthew K.

Mods are being updated...should see an update shortly.

almogz

Problem uninstalling this mod!

PLEASE HELP!!

I like your mod 'Hide Topics from Guests' but I have serious problem that google and ALL search engines stopped viewing my information from the forum (ie: MOST OF THE FORUM CONTENT!!).

This is a HUGE downside of this mod.

If you can solve this problem BEST!

If not, please tell me how to remove this mod/ bring the forum back to normal?!
I'm using smf 2.0 RC 3.0

I did uninstalled it from the PACKAGES and its no longer there but still yet!! the forum operate the same, guest AND SEARCH ENGINES can't see the forum content! my forum is going down because of it!

HELP ASAP PLEASE!

almogz

almogz

Quote from: almogz on November 26, 2010, 10:19:18 PM

PLEASE HELP!!

I like your mod 'Hide Topics from Guests' but I have serious problem that google and ALL search engines stopped viewing my information from the forum (ie: MOST OF THE FORUM CONTENT!!).

I'm using smf 2.0 RC 3.0

I did uninstalled it from the PACKAGES and its no longer there but still yet!! the forum operate the same, guest AND SEARCH ENGINES can't see the forum content! my forum is going down because of it!

HELP ASAP PLEASE!

I think the mod owner shold answer these questions I have.

This mod is not that good and can't remove it easily from the forum!!

Should explain how to remove it manually from functioning in the forum.

>:(

Matthew K.

Manual Installation of Mods reverse that.
Quote from: almogz on November 28, 2010, 04:56:44 AM
Quote from: almogz on November 26, 2010, 10:19:18 PM

PLEASE HELP!!

I'm using smf 2.0 RC 3.0

HELP ASAP PLEASE!

I think the mod owner shold answer these questions I have.

This mod is not that good and can't remove it easily from the forum!!

Should explain how to remove it manually from functioning in the forum.

>:(

JessyKa

I am sorry to ask again: who exactly is responsible for this mod now?
And is anyone about to solve the problem? And is there a vague schedule on it?
Thanks

OCJ

Its a useful mod for many people but if possible, Im sure an if/else statement could be added easily to input forum IDs to block access?
Even manually in the display.php file it would be ok. This way I could open up most of the board except private forums... still nice to show the topics though as it makes the site look active.

Pleased to have this!
Andy

Advertisement: