phpBB3 to SMF incomplete online instrcutions

Started by Cybernerdz, January 22, 2010, 02:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cybernerdz

Im considering on converting my 4 year old phpBB3 forum to SMF but Im getting into some issues. I have followed the Installation Guide and Conversion from phpBB to SMF to the teeth and got a successful conversion of my database. Unfortunately, there are still a number of issues and configurations that needs to be manually redone. Most importantly the login problem. I am now locked out from my forum because its not taking either the login I created as Admin when I first installed a clean SMF, nor the login info I had from the converted phpbb dbase.

I have searched obvious references for this problem in the Downloads link button, Converter Tools, Common conversion errors, and even used your search box but no references regarding the login/password problem. Can someone please direct me where I can find the link in converting the password from phpBB3 to work with SMF.

May I also humbly suggest that if this is a known issue, that this be included in your conversion instructions or conversion download, or even better; be added as a sub-routine script in the conversion process.

Thanks.

Norv

Can you please tell, to what version of SMF did you convert?

Thing is, it should have worked for SMF 2.0 RC2, the "old" credentials from phpbb should be recognized correctly. Eventually, clearing cache and re-trying login may help.
For SMF 1.1.x, please check out: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=218449.0 and apply the login fix. You will need to apply it manually, now (so please make the edits pointed out there, in the SMF's php files, because the package can only be installed automatically if you are logged in as admin).
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Norv

On another note, yes, I think you are right: the converter should rather tell what's going on and what else it may need to work properly(do it itself or at least tell you).
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: