News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

To spam or not to spam....

Started by di3f00l, January 22, 2010, 04:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

di3f00l

that is the question!  ::)

Basically is it worth it. Other music forums have ugly themes that are just really boring or confusing. ie:subforums ontop of subforums that aren't even used. Is it worth it to spam sites? I only have 3 other members and they're my mods, so when do you think I should spam? Or should I never spam? It just seems rude, but since in my opinion the lay out is better and I doing them a favor? Post.

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

di3f00l

Quote from: Tony on January 22, 2010, 04:58:06 PM
Spamming is a bad idea period.
That's what my gut said but I wasn't sure.
Anyone else?

vbgamer45

I wouldn't do it. I would focus writing quality content instead. You can spam all you want but what will make them stay?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

di3f00l

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 22, 2010, 05:27:45 PM
I wouldn't do it. I would focus writing quality content instead. You can spam all you want but what will make them stay?
Yeah true. But at the same time no one will see the content until people come. Plus how do you write quality content in a forum with no people?  :P

vbgamer45

Just write posts on your forum. Have discussions on topics related to your forum. invite your friends to join to build it up
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

di3f00l

Okay so I have an account on another forum from before I made my site to see what theirs was like, and I was talking in shout box and people asked me what my favorite music was so I was like alternative/punk rock and christian music, then 10 seconds later (literally) I got banned. And now all the people are laughing and saying its because I like christian music.

Half of the forums that have made it, shouldn't have.  :-[

ApplianceJunk

Spamming is not a good way to promote your site.

Good luck,

rd

Spamming is for people who don't have friends and can't get the word out.

Spamming is a sin >.>

wildebeast

di3f00l

Okay thanks guys... I'm never going to spam!  8)

DoctorMalboro

dependes WHERE, i spam in twitter, and that helps, or, i post topics in other forums with my website as source of the info

never real spam :P

Yahmez

I 'spam' Facebook and craigslist  ;D

di3f00l

Yahmez

I just put ad's up for my forum in the local craigslist. (its a local community forum)

di3f00l

Quote from: Yahmez on January 23, 2010, 12:12:33 PM
I just put ad's up for my forum in the local craigslist. (its a local community forum)
Oh wow, does it work?

ApplianceJunk

You should only spam if your 15 years old. ;)

QuoteOh wow, does it work?

The way to check would be to look at your google analytics (or what ever analytics you use) to see how many hits you got from the site you posted your spam on.

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on January 23, 2010, 01:42:22 PMYou should only spam if your 15 years old. ;)

everyone spams, even google (do you think wave wasn't spam? ^^ ;D )

rd

All those "visitors" from twitter are BOTS!

ApplianceJunk

Quoteeveryone spams

Your trying to justify your actions by saying everyone does it, kids...

Yahmez

ApplianceJunk...
when I say I spam FB & craigslist, I mean just utilizing them properly. I am not referring to spamming in the truest (annoying) sense. To me, promoting your site through other sites is 'spamming'

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on January 23, 2010, 02:51:02 PM
Quoteeveryone spams

Your trying to justify your actions by saying everyone does it, kids...
i was kidding, don't take it serious

karanthsrihari

"doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does." If you think the people getting spammed will like it then i think u can give a try, but hitting in the dark is of no use to anyone. like eg, advertising ur site in a music lovers yahoogroup or googlegroup!  or create rss feeds submit it to ezine sites, submit sitemaps to search engines.. they all will get visitors :) and yes as royalduke said when we put a link in twitter we get some 20+ visitors all of a sudden.. don't know what these bots do on the site! Google Analytics don't recognize them anyway..
http://onlinefundb.com [nofollow] - Online Fun Database

durrenmatt

Advertisement: