heres an idea :) support for mobile phones?

Started by Moreboost, January 23, 2010, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreboost

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a mod or if maybe this is a added feature. I have been noticing a lot of movement to internet cell phone web use, and was wanting to see if there was an option to the 1.1.11 to enable this access?

Thanks

Kill Em All

This is already a feature in SMF 1.1.x and 2.0.

Your website tries to see whether the user is on a mobile phone or not and redirects them to a part of your website.

To view it, just add ?wap2 after your /index.php

There is also ?imode to. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Matthew K.

A mod of mine, Advanced Footer Mod adds the additional links, including imode and wap2 to your footer, with a toggle for all of the links and a case-switch.

Kill Em All

I know in SMF 2.0 default theme. It automatically has the WAP2 one, but not the IMODE.

And some themes do have the WAP2 at the bottom of their theme, very few though.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Matthew K.

You're right, sorry, mine adds iMode, NO WAP, WAP,

Kill Em All

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 23, 2010, 03:56:07 PM
You're right, sorry, mine adds iMode, NO WAP, WAP,
I tell ya, don't even know your own mods. pfft. :p

Matthew K.

Saying I've been writing up and submitting 2 mods a day for a whole week (some days 3) and have over 12 unapproved mods, I'm sorry if I don't remember every link in every mod. :p

butchs

I wrote a mod that is supposed to be submitted for SMF approval this weekend by Fabius85, the author of smf4iphone.  The final version is improved over the beta I was toying that uses a free service to check if the member has a mobile device then it checks the editable UA list from the mod settings and directs to one of 3 themes based on the UA and a failsafe 4th theme or a SMF built i theme. 
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

vbgamer45

Quote from: butchs on January 23, 2010, 04:29:29 PM
I wrote a mod that is supposed to be submitted for SMF approval this weekend by Fabius85, the author of smf4iphone.  The final version is improved over the beta I was toying that uses a free service to check if the member has a mobile device then it checks the editable UA list from the mod settings and directs to one of 3 themes based on the UA and a failsafe 4th theme or a SMF built i theme. 

Sounds great to have a different theme based on their user agent.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Moreboost

Quote from: Kill Em All on January 23, 2010, 03:36:40 PM
This is already a feature in SMF 1.1.x and 2.0.

Your website tries to see whether the user is on a mobile phone or not and redirects them to a part of your website.

To view it, just add ?wap2 after your /index.php

There is also ?imode to. :)

Great :) do I have to turn this feature on from admin settings or is it on by default?

Arantor

No, it's available all the time. There's not actually an option to disable it AFAIK.

青山 素子

If the phone browser indicates support for WAP, WAP2, or iMode, SMF will automatically load in that view. For smartphone browsers, they usually don't send this information as they can normally handle standard HTML views in some manner.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Jeff Lewis

I was recently browsing the site here with my mobile phone and was actually quite impressed with how it displayed. I had never really had a need to before.
Co-Founder of SMF

butchs

If you want more accuracy then you will need a Wurfl.  Tera-wurfl the fastest one and it requires a 15MB database.  Some people can not support the extra space.  So I looked at something a whole lot smaller and easier.

Just need to figure out how to make it work without issues with portal programs.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

greyknight17

Moreboost, this topic will be marked as solved. Most mobile phones should be able to display your forum in one of these versions. Smartphones that have full browser capability will display as if you were using it on a computer though.

If you still have problems/questions, feel free to mark this topic back as unresolved.

Advertisement: