News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[GUIDE] Installing SMF on a cPanel™ host.

Started by aishaweb, January 27, 2010, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aishaweb

Open cpanel's file manager:

Select "new folder" Give it a name, i chose "smf". Click "create new folder"

Open the folder you created:

Click "upload"

Click "browse"  Navigate to the smf install file, click "open"

Wait till it gets to "100% complete" Click "back to..."

Right click the uploaded file and select "extract"

MMMM..lovely new files...

Now to create a database.  Click "mysql databases"

Name your database, i called mine "smf".  Click "create database"

Create a new database user and password, click "create user"

go to the "add user to database" bit. Find the user you just created and the database, click "add"

Tick / check the "all privileges" box, then click "make changes"

Now we need to open the installer in your browser, goto your sites web address:  http://www.yoursite.com/smf/  Note the /smf/ on the end.This is mostly self explanatory, give your forum a name, leave all the other stuff until you get to the mysql database stuff, input the the database username and pass you created earlier, input the database name too, leave the table prefix as "smf_"  Click "proceed"

Again self explanatory, click "finish" after creating the admin account:

Tick / check the box to remove the install.php file, click the text "your newly installed forum"

Voila!  You new forum is ready to use, checkout the shiny new "admin" button.

Take daily backups and enjoy!

kingkingston

aishaweb

Quote from: kingkingston on January 27, 2010, 01:29:20 PM
Or you can use fantastico

If you want to have a forum that is possibly buggy and has other issues, yes you can.

Matthew K.

Fantastico does not have bugs in it for SMF.

However, Fantastico is only SMF 1.1, not SMF 2.0.
Quote from: aishaweb on January 27, 2010, 01:32:18 PM
Quote from: kingkingston on January 27, 2010, 01:29:20 PM
Or you can use fantastico

If you want to have a forum that is possibly buggy and has other issues, yes you can.

aishaweb

My experiance has always been, A: Its an outdated version. B: It installs it as English-utf8.

kingkingston

Quote from: aishaweb on January 27, 2010, 01:36:47 PM
My experiance has always been, A: Its an outdated version. B: It installs it as English-utf8.
You can always change that

aishaweb

You know what, i put quite a bit of effort into that tutorial, just coming in and basically saying dont bother just use fantastico is a bit off.

Matthew K.

No, apparently I came across the wrong way, very nice tutorial!

aishaweb

Thanks, sorry, just it took me quite a while to edit and crop all the images, and im my opinion this method of installing gives the admin a better understanding of the forum and database system and should be used in preference to fantastico.

Matthew K.

I'm not saying Fantastico is better, I use the manual way as well, but it's definitely an alternative to those who don't feel comfortable with all of these edits.

aishaweb

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 27, 2010, 01:56:14 PM
I'm not saying Fantastico is better, I use the manual way as well, but it's definitely an alternative to those who don't feel comfortable with all of these edits.

Thats kinda the point of the guide, to show newbies that it really isnt that daunting to do it manually.

Matthew K.

To some it is too much, that's why Fantastico is there.

kingkingston

Quote from: aishaweb on January 27, 2010, 01:40:07 PM
You know what, i put quite a bit of effort into that tutorial, just coming in and basically saying dont bother just use fantastico is a bit off.
I'm not having a go at you,i was just saying that you can use fantastico as well :)

adbrad

nice tutorial would of been nice to have it when i installed my forum. although it never took me much to figure it out

tumbleweed

Thanks for the tut is awesome!!!!

Fantastico
Webinstall
Installatron
Softaculous

All those minus Webinstall can install SMF on cPanel servers if they are running those scripts. Almost every cPanel provider runs at least one of those scripts.

WebInstall that is SMF special located here: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=941.0

Frank

G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

hadesflames

aishaweb

mere mortals cannot post a new topic there.

hadesflames

aishaweb

kat

Done!

FWIW, I used Fantastico, once.

I won't be using it, again.  ;)

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Kat on January 27, 2010, 04:20:28 PMDone!

what? It's the best panel i ever use, even better than elserver panel :O

aishaweb

fantastico isnt a panel, its an autoinstaller...

TheListener

Where the heck was the tutorial when I needed it?

;D

Good job.

This topic should be glued to the forum ( I mean stickied sorry)

Shole

rd

Original Poster, can I publish this tutorial in my website? Or you can publish it there, just PM me for URL.

On Topic: I like this a lot :) Would have been useful if I had C Panel :P I use Webmin

Anyway, doesn't the autoinstaller only install the latest stable version? Meaning SMF 1.1.11 only?

aishaweb

Quote from: Royalduke on February 15, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
Original Poster, can I publish this tutorial in my website?

Go ahead, just link back to this thread

On Topic: I like this a lot :) Would have been useful if I had C Panel :P I use Webmin
Then make one for webmin.   ;)

Anyway, doesn't the autoinstaller only install the latest stable version? Meaning SMF 1.1.11 only?

Depends on the host and how quickly smf updates, a lot  hosts are usually a version or 2 behind, dont forget, fantastico has a lot of scripts in it to keep up to date.

aishaweb

pizmit

Check us out at ----->         http://pizmit.com/ [nofollow]      <------- Always Open

mdj

im a complete newb and rookie at this, so please bear with me, ive followed the directions above and have managed to load up smf 2.0 to my database, thats the good news, however i cant manage to get the database to load to my domain, i dont see the last stages of the directions when i load up my browser, i just see error page 404 no page exists, what am i not doing?

many thanks.
SMF Version: 2.0.1

mdj

ok, ive managed to overcome the problem, cheers anyhow
SMF Version: 2.0.1

Joe_Dean

That's really the only good thing about cPanel's file manager...uploading archives and extracting them. Saves LOADS of time as opposed to mass-uploading all files using FTP.

Dharshan

agreed aisha, thanks for the tutorial, IMO this should be practiced by SMF admins, it gives better understanding of the forum and DB and also Fantastico SUCKS!

i used it once and had issues updating the auto-installed SMF 1.1.11, and that was the last time i used fantastico for SMF.

(being that said fantastico is good for other softwares like joomla etc)
R I P  : Steve Jobs | you made the world today look how it is | Thank you

sadaam

I used Fantastico, once.
I won't be using it, again
Me feel proude to use SMF!!

NanoSector

Quote from: K@ on January 27, 2010, 04:20:28 PM
Done!

At my host they put an icon to Fantastico but it doesn't work at all. Endless maintenance, or how they may call that ;)

Nice tutorial. Be warned every host is different so some settings may not be the same :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nice guide, and if this helps even one person stay away from fantastico - then it was worth it IMO :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: