News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Templates

Started by ۞, August 05, 2003, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

۞

The old YaBB/YaBBSE template system was great imo, I'm just wondering if the template system will be the same in SMF :) Or will it be like phpBB or vB?
TTTTTT  OOOOOO MMMMMM   BBBBBB

silverdragon

It's kinda like the old system, but MUCH faster and much better.  Don't know if the code is the same, but the concept seems similar (but with far more options).

-SD

Acf

hehe some caps would be nice ;)
Sigh...

Ben_S

Actually from what I gather its nothing like the old system, you can skin just about every aspect of the board, though there is still an easy way to make changes like there was before.

I htink thats how it is, no doubt if I am wrong one of the <douglas mode> big guns </douglas mode> will correct me :)
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Joseph

THere are a couple things to note in the system.  First of all EVERYTHING is skinnable.  It's terrifying.  I was very intimidated by editing this skin for simplemachines.org - but it wasn't too bad...

but what we're going to include is the ability to control the over all template like you could in yabbse.  so you'll have the best of both worlds.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Acf

Quote from: Joseph Fung on August 05, 2003, 04:25:58 PM
THere are a couple things to note in the system.  First of all EVERYTHING is skinnable.  It's terrifying.  I was very intimidated by editing this skin for simplemachines.org - but it wasn't too bad...

but what we're going to include is the ability to control the over all template like you could in yabbse.  so you'll have the best of both worlds.

Cant wait to see how it looks and how it works :) 8)
Sigh...

mephisto_kur

I can't wait to get my hands on it.  I *hate* the YaBBSE template.  I can't believe how much is hardcoded.  I can't believe how many things used the same class.

Do you know how much I hate .bordercolor?  My god its used for absolutely everything!  <shiver>
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

۞

I like the YSE template, simply because i'm lazy and its easy to change :P

Btw, am i the only one who dislikes these smilies?
TTTTTT  OOOOOO MMMMMM   BBBBBB

Douglas

Quote from: Ben_S on August 05, 2003, 04:14:23 PMI htink thats how it is, no doubt if I am wrong one of the <douglas mode> big guns </douglas mode> will correct me :)
Douglas mode?  Am I that much of a bear already?  BWAHA!  My mission is COMPLETE!  :D
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

silverdragon

It's about 80/20 on the smilies.   80% like 'em and 20% hate 'em.  I'll never get 100% satisfaction during a change, but I think so far the number of people who like them is good enough.  

I like them, they fit my graphic style, so unless a Project Developer decides to veto me, they are staying.

-SD

Joseph

Quote from: silverdragon on August 05, 2003, 04:48:05 PM
It's about 80/20 on the smilies.   80% like 'em and 20% hate 'em.  I'll never get 100% satisfaction during a change, but I think so far the number of people who like them is good enough.  

I like them, they fit my graphic style, so unless a Project Developer decides to veto me, they are staying.

-SD
And personally, except for  :D (which I think needs to be changed) I'm a huge fan of them.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: Joseph Fung on August 05, 2003, 04:55:49 PM
And personally, except for  :D (which I think needs to be changed) I'm a huge fan of them.

Ditto  :D
Co-Founder of SMF

mattsiegman

I can't tell the difference between the smilies very easily... especially :) and :(

YaBB 2 is gonna do templates almost exactly like how you guys are planning on doing them :)
-- Matt Siegman

silverdragon

I know, I know... I have a fix for the smiley.  I'm thinking of using this one:

-SD

Grudge

It may have been mentioned in here and I am just blind but will the templates be ultra customizable? I mean, for example, will it be easy to move around areas of the display. For example, move the signature around, the stars, member name - all as easy to understand tags.

I'm not actually requesting this but wanted to know if this is what to expect :D
I'm only a half geek really...

Joseph

yes, that's what you should expect :)
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Spaceman-Spiff

i hope the main template is still editable via Admin Center (like the good ol' template.php)

Joseph

Quote...so you'll have the best of both worlds.

read my post ;D
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

[Unknown]

One thing a LOT of people seem to have the trouble with understanding.. and I'm worried some of the "big guns" here are even having trouble with....

There are templates for each section - for example, there's a "Search" template.  This template is only the part *WITHIN* the main template that specifically is search.  Some people have been mistaken in thingking - for some reason - that the file is all the HTML for the Search action.  Not so.

Further, I have already made what I have dubbed a "converter" for template.php style templates.  You'll have a little text box just like before and it will be automatically compiled when you hit save.  This allows for it to be faster....

And... YaBB 2 is planning it not us :P.. here it is not planned it is implemented.

-[Unknown]

A.M.A

Ok .. let us take this, one step further ;D  how about viewing and downloading themes via the CP!
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Joshua Dickerson

There will be a template gallery, this might take a lot of resources from SMF. Especially if we want to display ads ;)
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

mattsiegman

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 05, 2003, 07:39:22 PMAnd... YaBB 2 is planning it not us :P.. here it is not planned it is implemented.

we are just slow ;)

you are a PHP maniac ;)

[plus we had to write our own session module]
-- Matt Siegman

[Unknown]

Quote from: mattsiegman on August 05, 2003, 10:12:16 PM
Quote from: [Unknown] on August 05, 2003, 07:39:22 PMAnd... YaBB 2 is planning it not us :P.. here it is not planned it is implemented.

we are just slow ;)

you are a PHP maniac ;)

[plus we had to write our own session module]

Alright, I'll stop picking on YaBB 2 :P :P.

-[Unknown]

mattsiegman

-- Matt Siegman

Advertisement: