News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"?>"!!!

Started by KensonPlays, January 30, 2010, 06:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

Ha, if i just edited it, nobody would know that there was something new!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

AndreT

Quote from: Kcmartz on February 04, 2010, 04:05:36 PM
Ha, if i just edited it, nobody would know that there was something new!
Actually somebody would since the post becomes new (sort of).

KensonPlays

...You know what I mean.......

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Mick.

I looked at the source code and it shows.

?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<meta name="description" content="Kcmartz's Website - Index - " />
<meta name="keywords" content="kcmartz, forum, general, discussion, smf, simple machines forum, general discussion, kenson, caleb, martz, caleb martz, kenson martz, kenson caleb martz, kcmartz, forum, general, discussion, smf, simple machines forum, general discussion, kenson, caleb, martz, caleb martz, kenson martz, kenson caleb martz" />
<title>Kcmartz's Website - Index</title>

Did you look in your index.template.php  by a chance?

Tyrsson

The encoding of the file has been changed. Do you have NotePad++?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

KensonPlays

notepad++? No, I have adobe installing and microsoft expression uninstalling ATM...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

greyknight17

You can download Notepad++ for free and try opening up the index.template.php file to see if the ?> is on the first line. If not, look through your other template.php files there. Usually one of them have these two characters in them that is causing the problem.

Go into phpMyAdmin and click on your database. Then click on the SQL tab and copy paste the following code and run it:

INSERT INTO smf_settings VALUES ('disableTemplateEval', 1);

Use the forum a little and try to regenerate new errors. If any are found, post the new ones here. Then run this query to undo the change we made earlier:

DELETE FROM smf_settings WHERE variable = 'disableTemplateEval';

KensonPlays

I know notepad++ is free, I just wanna use adobe, I like it better, but I have a program called Bluefish Editor on my linux box...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Norv

Bluefish might be good for this, too.

Please also: download the attached file, upload it to your forum folder, and run it from the browser.
It will check for files not ending in ?>, or not starting with <?php, as SMF requires, and display for you a list of all the files that break this.

Note that not all files need to respect these rules, ssi_examples.php for instance, will break them, but that's okay. Same for most mods files, you can ignore those. But SMF core files, and SMF language and template files specially, need to obey the rule. The attached file will tell who doesn't, if any.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

KensonPlays

running file_check.php.
RESULT:
    *  /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/PortaMx/Class/boardnewsmult_adm.php
          o File does not end with ?>

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/PortaMx/Class/boardnews_adm.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/PortaMx/Class/newposts_adm.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/PortaMx/Class/rss_reader_adm.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/Subs.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/StopSpammer.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/old_Subs.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Themes/core/Display.template.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Themes/core/index.php
          o File does not begin with <?php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Themes/default/PortaMx/PortaMx.template.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Themes/MysticMulti_v2/languages/ThemeStrings.english.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/cache/pages_mod-content-4.php
          o File does not begin with <?php
    *  /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/dialog/fck_spellerpages/spellerpages/server-scripts/spellchecker.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/basexml.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/config.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/connector.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/io.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/phpcompat.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/upload.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/util.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/fckeditor.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/fckeditor_php4.php

* /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/fckeditor/fckeditor_php5.php
OUCH!!!!!
EDIT: I checked subs.php to check, and it shows IT HAS "?>" in it!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

KensonPlays

I'll try uninstalling...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

KensonPlays

Error uninstalling page managment (don't really need anyway...):
index.php and admin.php (admin.php all edits failed) (index.php replace failed)

EDIT:
Nope, that didn't fix it!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

~DS~

Quote from: Kcmartz on February 04, 2010, 09:15:53 PM
Error uninstalling page managment (don't really need anyway...):
index.php and admin.php (admin.php all edits failed) (index.php replace failed)
You need to uninstall them manually like I told you on PM. Mods don't uninstall themselves completely when test fails.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Norv

As I said, mods files CAN break the "rule" of SMF files about ending in ?>, without causing problems for that matter.

SMF core files, template, language files should not break this rule.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

smp420

Quote from: Kcmartz on February 04, 2010, 09:09:15 PM
OUCH!!!!!
EDIT: I checked subs.php to check, and it shows IT HAS "?>" in it!
Make sure there arent any spaces or extra lines after ?> and also does this happen in all themes.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

smartdeviceresource

after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

SN

Did you try, uploading a default Display.template.php?

if not, uninstall all mods that effect the display.template.php. get a fresh display.template.php from the install package.

Upload it, then re-install the mods

that worked for me when i had that symbol on my site

KensonPlays

SN, I do not know what all the mods that affect that are.... :O

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Norv

Note that the files reported by file_check.php, saying that don't end in ?>, most probably have some spaces after ?>, or new lines, or BOM characters (Byte Order Mark). If you open the file(s) one by one in a code editor like Notepad++, you can remove the spaces, or newlines, after ?>, then save the file, then upload it back.
Do that for each of those, all files in core SMF and template/language files, reported by file_check.php.

They have to end with exactly ?>, absolutely nothing after it. And start with exactly <?php.

Advertisement: