News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How can i make a forum able to read html??

Started by punchy, January 31, 2010, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punchy

I use a forum just to post RSS mainly car Transporters for sale from ebay.

However the rss comes out all in code like in the picture below

Does anyone know how i can make this particular forum able to read HTML ??

Thanks in advanced

Norv

If you post the article as administrator, and enable HTML in posts, it should be displayed.
Please note that it's a security risk, to allow HTML in posts, even for admins only. If the page you post from is hacked or trying to hack or otherwise containing malicious code, your site can be affected.

How do you post RSS, do you use some mod?

EDIT: to enable HTML in posts, the option is at Admin > Posts and topics > Bulletin Board Code.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

punchy

Hi

I know about the HMTL security problem, I 'm just adding these rss feeds as admin. no one else can do it

Im using the RSS Feed Poster hack and the feeds are direct from Ebay

I'll try that, but does that make all boards HTML enabled??

Norv

Yes, it does.

But again, only for administrators.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

punchy

Ok Norv

I've done that but the boards are still still showing the HTML code, Will it only now work with new RSS feeds only

perhaps i'll need to delete all the old one??  :-\

Norv

If you use this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1590
it works just fine. You would need to install it, then re-import the feed.
I'm not fully sure to what "RSS feed poster hack" do you refer. :)

punchy

Hi, The feed poster i was using is this... http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=624

looks like its no longer supported  :-\

I may have a bash installing the one you said, for smf 2.0 do i need to do all the edits??

I'd be happy to install this if someone could do it for me for a price that is  ;)

Norv

All the edits?
i'm not sure, why would you need to do edits?

To install the mod, download the package and upload it in your SMF folder's Packages subfolder. Then, in SMF, Admin > Packages, you'll see it in the list (if you have SMF 2.0 RC2), and can press "Apply mod". That should simply install it.
In case you have custom themes, be sure to look down the page, after pressing Apply, to see "install on other themes" link. Click it, and check other themes, if there is the case.
That should be all.

punchy

Norv

;)

Please, feel free to keep us informed, if you want.

punchy

Hi Norv,

Just had a go and this is the message i get?

QuoteThis package is already installed, and no upgrade was found!

You should uninstall the old version first to avoid problems, or ask the author to create an upgrade from your old version.

Please remember to always make regular backups of your sources and database before installing mods, especially beta versions. 

Install Actions
Installations actions for "RSS Feeder":
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. 

Can't make it out ?? :o

Norv

It should work just fine on SMF 2.0 RC2. What version exactly do you have?
If you don't have RC2, you might want to upgrade to it, because it's the current 2.0 version, it has tons of improvements and bug fixes.

punchy

SMF 2.0  :-\

Is an upgrade easy to do?? I don't supposed you'll like a paid job  ::)

Via paypal  ;)

Norv

SMF 2.0 is only part of the version :) there should be some more, like SMF 2.0 RC1.2 or SMF 2.0 RC2. A link to your forum, eventually, might help.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested in a paid upgrade job, but I would try to assist here, on these forums. Other options would be: charter members are entitled to direct assistance for upgrading, or, the Help Wanted (not for support) board is a place where you can request a paid (or free) job, too.

punchy

Thanks Buddy I've added it as a paid job in the right forum.

I guess its gotta be one of those jobs i'll eventulally get done  ;D

I'm gonna see what i can do about the upgrade  ;)

Norv

Well, the first thing to see is what version exactly you are running. Posting a link to your site might help.

punchy

Norv

Yes, it seems you are running SMF 2.0 RC1.2, while the mod is for the last version of SMF 2, which is SMF 2.0 RC2.

To upgrade, please see: Upgrading SMF
Long story short: please make a backup of the database and forum first.
Then, grab a large upgrade package to SMF 2.0 RC2 from this site's Downloads, and unzip it on your computer. All the files in it, need to be uploaded on your hosting account, in your SMF folder (the folder "forum", it seems). They should overwrite your files.
Then, run upgrade.php by pointing to it in the browser. (that is, it should be http://www.puncheddecking.co.uk/forum/upgrade.php), and follow the wizard.

If all goes well, you're set. :)
Please do make backups first.
How do I backup my database?
How do I backup my SMF forum?

punchy

Thanks Norv will try that now  ;D

will i lose my skin as a result of the upgrade Norv ?? :o

Norv

Most likely, yes.
From your version to RC2, there were a lot of changes, and many of them concern exactly themes. There are lots of themes on the Theme site (this site's Customize > Themes), so you can choose another. Or, perhaps the theme author updated the theme you use, it might be worth searching for it to see if the author updated it to SMF 2.0 RC2. If he did, you'll be able to reinstall the updated version.

Advertisement: