News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Unable to connect to forum

Started by KalkanPrince, February 01, 2010, 10:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KalkanPrince

Hi,

Wonder if someone could help or point me in a place to look, my forum was working fine but now it seems not to load - the rest of the website is fine just not the forum

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

vbgamer45

Check that your database settings are correct in your forum's Setting.php Otherwise the issue is with the mysql database server on your host and they may need to be contacted to have it fixed.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

KalkanPrince

Thanks, times like this i wish it wasnt a dedicated server!
The Wordpress database on there seems ok however

KalkanPrince

No errors, just fails to page load

KalkanPrince

Database settings seem ok in settings.php

Norv

Could you please post a link to your forum?

So you are on a dedicated server, or do I misunderstand something?

On another note: please do not post many messages in a row, you can edit your previous message instead, as long as no one replied yet. It would be more readable.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

KalkanPrince

Yes I am on a dedicated server, the link is www.enjoykalkan.com/forum

Thankyou :)

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Norv

It does look like the settings in Settings.php are not okay, as mentioned before, or the database server is down.

If you connect with phpmyadmin, are you sure you're using the same database name/user/pass as they are in Settings.php?

It *might* help to try uploading repair_settings.php (http://download.simplemachines.org/?tools) and upload it to your SMF directory, and run it from the browser. It doesn't do anything else than you could do directly in Settings.php and such, but it might be easier and quicker, to recognize credentials and get an idea what may be going on.
Is the MySQL hostname and port correct too? If the port isn't specified, it should be 3306.

EDIT: I got directly a connection error when following the link above.

KalkanPrince

The main page is powered by Wordpress using the same mysql database server which is what confuses me.
Settings have not changed for the forum, could it have been hacked?

Norv

I don't know. (not enough information :) )

You could also try a ps -a to take a look at all processes, and see if any is by any chance keeping too much resources.

KalkanPrince

Just spoken to the hosting company support who have gone through all the processes and said apache as soon as it fires up is taking about 10% memory resource which is way too heavy, they say it looks like something on the website is nicking all the memory

They have rebooted the server and it came back but memory full very quickly  :-[

Norv

Yet, to be sure to eliminate other possibilities: have you tried as said above, to connect to phpMyadmin or mysql console client, or anything else, to the database of the SMF forum? Exactly the same database, same user, pass. To see if it works, or what error does it give.

KalkanPrince

Yes I am connected using phpmyadmin to the database using those credentials (and making a backup as we speak via it ;) )

KalkanPrince

Just triple checked and everypart of the website works apart from the forum - should i try a reinstall of smf?

Norv

Do you have many mods?

Do you have a shoutbox mod, by any chance?

KalkanPrince

Norv

Please run in phpMyAdmin (on the forum database):

SELECT body FROM smf_sp_shouts ORDER BY log_time DESC limit 5;

(replace "smf_" with your actual tables prefix)

and post the result here.

KalkanPrince

Hi Gul ;)
      hello
      every thing seems ok,now Iam getting used to it
      Love the new look. and chat facility. Thanks Jon

Everything seems to be working again now - very strange! However a huge thank you for the help

Advertisement: