News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Server configuration and SMF

Started by Soms, February 06, 2010, 11:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soms

I have a personal server to host my websites. Unfortunately the way it is configured at the moment is really very restrictive. For example, if I want to install a third-party mod to my SMF, it refuses to allow overwrite of the necessary files and directories. My questions therefore are these:

What is the proper way to configure a server to make it SMF mod friendly?
Is it true that I need to be looking for the necessary changes in the php.ini and/or the httpd.conf files?
If yes what do I need to change?

Thanks in advance.

青山 素子

That's a permission issue. The files need to be writable by the user the webserver is running as. This can involve changing ownership of the files, or changing permissions on the files to give the website user the right access. Determining which method is better depends on the setup of the server.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Soms

Quote from: Motoko-chan on February 06, 2010, 12:06:29 PM
That's a permission issue. The files need to be writable by the user the webserver is running as. This can involve changing ownership of the files, or changing permissions on the files to give the website user the right access. Determining which method is better depends on the setup of the server.

Thanks Motoko-chan. There are other websites (and users) on the server. I have checked that the owners of the files are the users of the particular files on their own website.

Advertisement: