News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Live Emoticon Library

Started by Dean Williams, February 18, 2010, 05:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Williams

Link to Mod

Live Emoticon Library

Description: This modification integrates the resplace emoticon library into your fourm and allows users to post emoticons into topics.

Emoticons are added with one click using [e][/e] tags and are downloaded onto your server so that if our service goes down emoticons will still load on your forum (and it saves us bandwidth).

The library of emoticons can be expanded by you and your members using our submission system!

Warning!
This modification connects to a remote server (resplace.net), fetches and parses a XML document.
In addition to this the modification also fetches gif/png images (the emoticons) from resplace.net and stores them on your server as and when they are used within the forum, this is done so that emoticons load more reliably on your forum but also to save us from bandwidth usage (this is a cache and can be cleared anytime!).
The script also uses an iframe, personally I see no risk but the moderators on this site asked me to mention the use of them.

Full care is taken to minimize security risks to your forums, and our system implements admin approval on all submissions to eradicate spam. Although we have taken all the precautions we can with this script the fact still remains that if we was to get hacked you may be compromised, although this seems highly unlikely we all feel you should be warned of this small risk.

Dean Williams

Updated this mod so that it can be installed on 2.0 RC1 - RC2 - RC3!

Enjoy :)

ladiewinter

I just installed this mod, and the 'More Emoticons...' link gives me this whenever I click on it:

QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Now, I can't even uninstall the damned thing.  Can someone help me figure out how to either make this thing work, or make it go away, plz?  Thank you.

yakyakyak

The relatively small amount of edits this makes according to the parser, it should be easy to manually edit them out to remove the package completely

Dean Williams

Quote from: ladiewinter on June 16, 2011, 04:19:52 PM
I just installed this mod, and the 'More Emoticons...' link gives me this whenever I click on it:

QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Now, I can't even uninstall the damned thing.  Can someone help me figure out how to either make this thing work, or make it go away, plz?  Thank you.

What version of SMF are you using and what do you mean it doesnt work?

I've tested uninstall and it works fine for me :s

T3CHN0

Just installed this mod no erors on install, only mod installed on 2.0.1 and after Clicking on More Emoticons... I get this error.

Not Found The requested URL /resmoticons/frame.php was not found on this server.
  Apache Server at www.aussierampage.com Port 80

T3CHN0

OK with much working out from the time of my last post I found the answer to fix this bug.

if your forum is installed something like www.yourwebsite.com/ you will be OK and mod will work
but like me if your forum is install something like www.yourwebsite.com/smf2.0/ then this mod will not work.
you need to edit the java script to change its directory where to look.

go to your theme\default\scripts\ and edit dragCode.js

find
/resmoticons/frame.php\" frameborder=\"0\" scrolling=\
then add your site folder 'example mine is smf2.0' so it should look like this
/smf2.0/resmoticons/frame.php\" frameborder=\"0\" scrolling=\

this fixed it for me and works perfect on 2.0.1

another thing you need to do > go to \resmoticons\ and change file permissions to 644 on all php files in that folder
as even the install has the command to pre set this for you it don't work and you need to do it your self

Dean Williams

blimey, thanks for this I will get working on a fix! I didn't realise I did this!!

I'll hopefully upload a fix tonight, may add some new functionality if I've got time :)

Dean Williams

I have now uploaded a fix :) thank you for bringing this to my attention!

The CHMOD issue is due to your server not allowing PHP to CHMOD... Unfortunately there is no work around for servers which disable CHMOD. Ive added some instructions for such problems. Thanks again!!

T3CHN0

Your welcome.. I'm not a good moder but if I want something to work bad enough I will spend hours on it till I get it working :)
if I can help I will...

Just tested this mod on a new site 2.0.1 that I am working on.
1st/
Downloading zip with FireFox7 Live Emoticon Library.zip firefox does not recognise spaces in download links and most users will download (live) the first past of the name, changing the download link to Live_Emoticon_Library.zip will fix this problem for when others download the file..

2nd/
logs fill up with chmod errors. "can the 3 lines for this be removed"

3rd/
Installs perfect on default theme 2.0.1 but on custom theme it dose not.
might be better if install option changed to
Find
                <form id="guest_form" action="', $scripturl, '?action=login2" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'
add before
                <script type="text/javascript" src="', $settings['default_theme_url'], '/scripts/dragCode.js"></script>
and this would over come that problem as well.

everything else is good and works perfect.

one thing that could be change.. but not needed to is the donation tab, kind of stands out there doesn't it :Dnot a bad thing but I have members from my other forum asking if it could be removed as they feel like therebeing pushed to make a donation and they don't like it.. Not a problem to me but most of my members don't like it... maybe still have something there but no so much in everyone face, or maybe just on install of the modlike most moders do.

cheers...

Dean Williams

1) LIVE problem:
Yeah I saw this today, very strange! Didnt know it was down to the spaces though, thats a real bad bug for both SMF and firefox, SMF should really automatically rename the file to use _.

2) CHMOD error logs:
I dont want to remove them as it is useful for hosts that allow the CHMOD to operate, but I can place @ before which SHOULD stop the logs, I'll see what I can do.

3) Install:
Okay brilliant I'll look at changing it :)

4) Donation:
Okay, sorry I did not realise it was so prominent, it is only at the bottom though? so I thought it would be out of the way a little. But I will look at reducing its size/colors or something as I dont want people to be upset by it, but at the same time a few pennies would go very gratefully :p.

------
Thanks for your insight so far, and yes I may be requiring a little help soon actually, I want to add some settings into SMF's settings panel and I have no idea how to accomplish it. Do you know at all?
I was just going to look at some other small mods to figure it out. :)

-----
I'll be working on a new version over the next few weeks, I've been expanding the Emoticon Library with new features such as category images and ability to know if emoticons are animated or adult orientated (eventually I want an option in SMF so you can stop adult emoticons etc).

I guess though the most important thing at the moment is adding more emoticons into the system, how are you finding my library at the moment? Any suggestions for features and/or improvement? What about the API have you looked at that at all?

T3CHN0

Quote1) LIVE problem:
Yeah I saw this today, very strange! Didnt know it was down to the spaces though, thats a real bad bug for both SMF and firefox, SMF should really automatically rename the file to use _.
I agree as who knows if or when firefox will fit it?

Quote2) CHMOD error logs:
I dont want to remove them as it is useful for hosts that allow the CHMOD to operate, but I can place @ before which SHOULD stop the logs, I'll see what I can do.
I was asking this for my self but if putting an @ in it will fix the error, that's a good idea.

3) Install:
Okay brilliant I'll look at changing it :)

------
QuoteThanks for your insight so far, and yes I may be requiring a little help soon actually, I want to add some settings into SMF's settings panel and I have no idea how to accomplish it. Do you know at all?
I was just going to look at some other small mods to figure it out. :)
I don't know how & I do the same by looking at other mods. I have a busy life but I will help when I can. custom box mod would be a good mod
to inspect how to do what you want. simple edits but works the treat.

-----
QuoteI'll be working on a new version over the next few weeks, I've been expanding the Emoticon Library with new features such as category images and ability to know if emoticons are animated or adult orientated (eventually I want an option in SMF so you can stop adult emoticons etc).
I don't think you can monitor adult emotions but maybe just remove them, if others want them they can include them later them selves.
I for one would rather not see them on my forum, but take the good with the bad
I guess though the most important thing at the moment is adding more emoticons into the system, how are you finding my library at the moment? Any suggestions for features and/or improvement? What about the API have you looked at that at all?
I haven't looked at the  API. only good with finding solutions but not real good with understanding code yet. HTML I am all over it. PHP still learning..

I like what you have already. buttons with sample emotion in stead of text would be awesome and I might be able to help with that bit.
yes more emotions would be good as well and I might be able to help there as well, but I would simple image google for emotions and collect them :)

P.S.
I removed this mod and re-installed to test it. and good work on the java fix. works on first install now. no more having to edit the java to fix it

T3CHN0

I wanted to have the extra emotions in my PM's as well so I added
the same edits from Post.Template.php to PersonalMessage.Template.php
and it worked the treat.

still get error
2: chmod() [<a href='function.chmod'>function.chmod</a>]: No such file or directory
from these three

chmod($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'smf2.0/resmoticons/frame.php', 0644);
        chmod($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'smf2.0/resmoticons/emote.php', 0644);
        chmod($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'smf2.0/resmoticons/liveemotelib.english.php', 0644);

I thought by adding /smf2.0/ like I did with the java script would have fixed it :(
I removed this line
$filename2 .= $filename[$i].'/';
and no longer get that unknown filename2 error

just 3 to go so I get no more error's

Dean Williams

Thats awesome Techno, I wasnt aware that you couldnt do that! I'll add your code suggestions into the official mod.

Also ahh yes now I see why your getting the errors, I'll make sure the paths are right with some PHP magick (I think I got the code wrong :p)

I should be able to work on this firday, cant tomorrow as I'm in london :)

Surf3rDud3

I just installed this and when i Create a new topic the "More Emotions..." link does do anything... I running a custom template does that have anything to do with it?

T3CHN0

Quote from: Surf3rDud3 on November 08, 2011, 02:05:07 AM
I just installed this and when i Create a new topic the "More Emotions..." link does do anything... I running a custom template does that have anything to do with it?
did you install it with errors. ?
what is the folder path of your forum? www.yoursite.com or www.yoursite.com/something

Dean Williams

Can you give me a link to your forums please, I will investigate :)

Also just to update you guys, I'm currently working on 1.5, it's looking pretty good at the moment, I've moved the CHMOD bits, moved around the UI so it's more compact and less emphasis on donations and applying some style and more functionality... In fact I'm going to have to update the API for some more functionality I want :p

Surf3rDud3

I did not install with any errors... and my path is like www.yoursite.com my forum is installed in the main directory.

www.xswatx.info

T3CHN0

Quote from: Surf3rDud3 on November 08, 2011, 10:03:15 PM
I did not install with any errors... and my path is like www.yoursite.com my forum is installed in the main directory.

www.xswatx.info
More Emoticons... showing error JavaScript:moreEmots();
Make sure /resmoticons/ emote.php frame.php liveemotelib.english.php chmod permissions are set to 755 or 644
and also make sure /Themes/default/scripts dragCode.js is in there

Surf3rDud3

It was CMOD to 644 and the dragCode.js was there...

Advertisement: