SimplePortal

Started by crazystu, May 23, 2005, 04:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazystu

Link to Mod

A very SimplePortal like Smartor's ezPortal for phpBB. Has no admin but works well with most templates. Remember to read the readme after install.
Also Supports Package Manager ;)
Live Demo

dustrho

I keep gettting the following error messages when trying to install this MOD (see image below).  I am using SMF 1.0.3 with the latest version of the Helios theme.

jazz

Are you sure this isn't Bloc's TinyPortal?

Edited:  I guess I could have looked at the code before I asked this question.  Great job!  Anything built in for modifying the blocks and articles?

dustrho

No, this is the SimplePortal by nesianstyles.  Is Bloc's TinyPortal good to use?  I need something simple & easy to use in conjunction with my SMF forums.  Thanks!

Thantos

Um I don't see any errors in that screen shot.

dustrho

Quote from: MikeMill on May 23, 2005, 01:27:16 PM
Um I don't see any errors in that screen shot.

You don't necessarily see "Failures" on that list, but you can tell that it stops installing as soon as it gets to step #6.  Then it asks for FTP information, I provide it, and it goes right back to this page.  How should the local path to the forums look?  I've tried it a number of a ways with no luck.

[Unknown]

No, those steps can't fail, so to speak.

-[Unknown]

dustrho

Unreal... I tried it again so that I could show you more information about the messages I'm getting, and now it's working.  How do I go about customizing this?

jazz

Quote from: dustrho on May 23, 2005, 02:17:27 PM
Unreal... I tried it again so that I could show you more information about the messages I'm getting, and now it's working.  How do I go about customizing this?

No idea.  I downloaded it to my test forum, but couldn't figure it out.  I use TinyPortal which you can find at http://bloczone.net.  It's still in a beta, but he's still working on it and adding features.  It's very easy to customize.  You can also see it in action at http://carmenrasmusen.com/members/index.php.

I'm sure that this one has it's benefits also, I just haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

dustrho

Not to get off this topic, but I did install TinyPortal but I have no idea on how to work with it.  Is it suppose to have a GUI interface?  Am I suppose to edit one of the PHP files?  I'm not sure how to start customizing it.  I have posted a thread in Bloc's forums, and I'm waiting to hear back from someone about it.  Until the mean time... any ideas?

jazz

I posted a reply at bloczone.

I suggest this topic be split out of courtesy so that it doesn't interfere with this new portal.

crazystu

Quote from: dustrho on May 23, 2005, 02:17:27 PM
Well it sounds like you've gone to bloc's Tiny Portal, but anyway if you want to customize it, open Themes/default/Portal.template.php and you can find how it works there. Here is also a example html block if it helps:
<table class="tborder" border="0" width="95%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4">
<tr><td class="titlebg">Title</td>
</tr>
<tr><td class="windowbg2">Content</td>
</tr></table>
<br />

dustrho

I haven't gone with any portal as of yet.  I'm trying to find the simplest one to use, and so far I haven't found any that are truly a sinch to customize.  I would prefer to find one that had a GUI interface, but at this point in time I'm not attached to any one portal just yet.

SeaOfSin

Quote from: dustrho on May 23, 2005, 09:38:36 AM
I keep gettting the following error messages when trying to install this MOD (see image below).  I am using SMF 1.0.3 with the latest version of the Helios theme.

That is the same problem I'm having....it all says successful but it keeps asking for the ftp details!

Sea Of Sin

Thantos

That is just a test page, it means it was successful in testing the modification.  SMF 1.1 indicates this better

SeaOfSin

I did a manual install and it worked fine! :)

It looks great! I may use it to replace MKportal!

Sea Of Sin

mastersmurfie

Quote from: SeaOfSin on May 23, 2005, 07:10:29 PM
Quote from: dustrho on May 23, 2005, 09:38:36 AM

That is the same problem I'm having....it all says successful but it keeps asking for the ftp details!

Sea Of Sin

had this same problem...created "Blocks" folder manually, and installed without a hitch...maybe this will help someone else out...

By the way...EXCELLENT!!  Thank you!!
just a thought

mastersmurfie

www.chrishell.net/forums

crazystu

thankyou SeaOfSin & mastersmurfie. I'll post that fix in the description ;)

dustrho

OK, I finally got it installed (not sure what I did differently though).  How do I go about customizing this?  If I have to change the code what files should I be working with?

MichiganMinis

Any chance of getting controls in the Admin panel?

Advertisement: