Quote from: Nyx on June 27, 2005, 07:25:45 PM
How can I fix this?

EXPLORER

FIREFOX

I want all on the left  :-[ I use defaultXT theme
Nyx...try this:

Find 3 instances of

<td width="XX%" align="XXXXXX" valign="top">

in Portal.template.php (there *should* a  "20%", "60%", and a "20%" in that order)  I looked for same thing, and changing the "align=" to "left" fixed it for both IE and Firefox (for me anyways...)
just a thought

mastersmurfie

www.chrishell.net/forums

Nyx

Thank you very much, works fine now :D

mastersmurfie

I found out another "cosmetic" tip for SimplePortal...

notice how your "Quick Search" box is a bit wider than the rest?  (this may apply to anyone who uses SimplePortal  ;)...)

if you open PortalSearch.php and change

<input type="text" name="search" size="30" />

to

<input type="text" name="search" size="25" />

that should fix it (if it doesn't look right...)
just a thought

mastersmurfie

www.chrishell.net/forums

mastersmurfie

now I have a question that I can't figure out...

see Nyx's pics above?  Why, in IE are the borders around the blocks seemingly thinner than they are in Firefox, and can this be fixed as well? 

I see this also when viewing my forum....
just a thought

mastersmurfie

www.chrishell.net/forums

PopLife

It would be even better if it was uninstallable  ;D

artful

Boy oh boy, am I thick??
I have added this simpleportal to my forum but I cannot see how to call it up.
I cannot see a new page like index.php to start the portal.

Can some brainy person point me clearly in the right direction? :-[

DemonicInfluence

just the home page. if your site is www.blablabla.com. then go to that.

artful

thanks, but that does not work.

my site is hxxp:www.xxxxx.xxx/forum [nonactive]  but when I use this it comes up with the forum and not the portal

any more idea's?? :'(

DemonicInfluence

#1 do you have a site at blablahbalh.com? or is it just blablahbalh.com/forum
#2 did the simpleportal work all right? check the main index.php in your html directory for the portal modification. (just open index.php and the modification xml file and check the edit in index.php)

Michelle

Just installed and it seems marvellous! I have some questions though about the customizing.
How can we configure it so that the news aren't only from one board but from the child boards as well. We would also like the name of the board that each article comes from to be displayed.
Also, how can we change the titles of each item? They are blank now!
We also would like to make the whoisonline as a link for the whois online page
How do we edit the menu and link items?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense but I'm too excited at the moment! :D
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language... :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are greek or know how to read greek visit www.e-steki.com .

Michelle

plz delete

Michelle

We wanted to use this for articles not announcements! Is there a way that it displays only the first eg 200 words of the article and the user has to click to a link to see the whole? And also, is there a way that if there are many articles that they aren't all displayed in the home page but in several pages? Because now the homepage gets huge and it's ugly to have the whole article there! Please help! Urgent!

DemonicInfluence

Quote from: Michelle on July 09, 2005, 11:15:16 PM
Just installed and it seems marvellous! I have some questions though about the customizing.
How can we configure it so that the news aren't only from one board but from the child boards as well. We would also like the name of the board that each article comes from to be displayed.
Also, how can we change the titles of each item? They are blank now!
We also would like to make the whoisonline as a link for the whois online page
How do we edit the menu and link items?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense but I'm too excited at the moment! :D
The portal.template.php file in default is where you edit links. Also, you need the portal.english.php for language. Lets say you want to say " BLBAAHlkhfskjahlfd". Just go to the language file and out another line. copy like line 24. change the number and the words. and reference it in the portal.template.

Quote from: Michelle on July 10, 2005, 03:14:44 AM
We wanted to use this for articles not announcements! Is there a way that it displays only the first eg 200 words of the article and the user has to click to a link to see the whole? And also, is there a way that if there are many articles that they aren't all displayed in the home page but in several pages? Because now the homepage gets huge and it's ugly to have the whole article there! Please help! Urgent!
That would need a lot of coding. I don't think that is a standard feature... Wait for someone else. i dunno about this :(

Michelle

Thanks Libo but in the meantime we already found that out.
Now the main questions are (ignore alla others, they are solved):
-How to make each article title as a link to the actual article?
-How to make the articles be from several child boards and each child board mentioned on top of the articles (for categrorisation purposes)?
-How to make the "X members and Y guests online now" a link like it is in the forum?
-How can I add more menu items?
-How can I add a poll to the first page?

Also a tip I stumbled across some hours ago while trying to make it like I wanted. If you don't want the whole article to be displayed but only the X first characters then open PortalNews.php and find
// If we want to limit the length of the post.
        if (!empty($length) && strlen($row['body']) > $length)
{
$row['body'] = substr($row['body'], 0, $length);

Then add the line
$length = "500" ;  (if 500 is the number of characters you want for each article preview, else put the number you want instead of 500)
just after the comment and before the rest of the code. At least in me it worked! :)

DemonicInfluence

Quote from: Michelle on July 10, 2005, 12:45:58 PM
Thanks Libo but in the meantime we already found that out.
Now the main questions are (ignore alla others, they are solved):
-How to make each article title as a link to the actual article?
-How to make the articles be from several child boards and each child board mentioned on top of the articles (for categrorisation purposes)?
-How to make the "X members and Y guests online now" a link like it is in the forum?
-How can I add more menu items?
-How can I add a poll to the first page?

Also a tip I stumbled across some hours ago while trying to make it like I wanted. If you don't want the whole article to be displayed but only the X first characters then open PortalNews.php and find
// If we want to limit the length of the post.
        if (!empty($length) && strlen($row['body']) > $length)
{
$row['body'] = substr($row['body'], 0, $length);

Then add the line
$length = "500" ;  (if 500 is the number of characters you want for each article preview, else put the number you want instead of 500)
just after the comment and before the rest of the code. At least in me it worked! :)

Quote-How to make the "X members and Y guests online now" a link like it is in the forum?

before this line in portalwhosonline
', $return['guests'], ' ', $return['guests'] == 1 ? $txt['guest'] : $txt['guests'], ', ', $return['num_users'], ' ', $return['num_users'] == 1 ? $txt['user'] : $txt['users'], $return['hidden'] > 0 ? ' (' . $return['hidden'] . ' ' . $txt['hidden'] . ')' : '', '<br />

Add <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=who">

So like this <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=who">', $return['guests'], ' ', $return['guests'] == 1 ? $txt['guest'] : $txt['guests'], ', ', $return['num_users'], ' ', $return['num_users'] == 1 ? $txt['user'] : $txt['users'], $return['hidden'] > 0 ? ' (' . $return['hidden'] . ' ' . $txt['hidden'] . ')' : '', '<br />

For menu items, search for <a href="index.php?action=forum">'.$txt['portal_16'].'</a><br /> in portal.template.php.

Right there. just copy that code and change the a href and the txt (with the language file (portal.english.php))

For the rest, i dunno

Michelle

With the who is online I did something better ;)
I changed the title of the block and made it as a link

Michelle

I want to add a forum button in the main menu on top of the page because when they press the home they go to the portal. I have seen that this is built in with hte classic theme but I'm using the YaBB theme, what can I do?

DemonicInfluence

Quote from: Michelle on July 10, 2005, 08:07:26 PM
I want to add a forum button in the main menu on top of the page because when they press the home they go to the portal. I have seen that this is built in with hte classic theme but I'm using the YaBB theme, what can I do?

Just edit the index.template.php according to the mod. open the mod files and check the edit for index.template.php. then, get the index.template.php file from the yabb theme and mod it accordingly

Michelle

erm? can you explain it a bit more pleaseee because I didn't get it? :(

DemonicInfluence

use your ftp and enter you yabb theme. Download the index.template.php file. In your browser, go to your admin. then package manager. then go to the simpleportal mod. Click List Files. Click on the simpleportal.xml. Search for index.template.php. If tells you to find a line. Open the download index.template.php. Search for the line. After that, it tells you to add something. Do that. Then your done.

P.S. you need to also download the forum.gif file from your classic theme english images folder. Then put it in your yabb theme's english images.

Advertisement: