News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

database not getting downloaded properly

Started by Joker™, February 20, 2010, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker™

i made a test site n tried to put my real forum database on it via phpmyadmin

but then only i came to know that many tables were missing from it ...

smf_settings for example

also the database i downloaded from my forum admin panel is 14.9 MB

but when i went to my host n downloaded from there database size was 56.3 MB

both database are in sql extension (not the compressed one's)

the file extension everything was same ...

im worried why my forum is not able to download pure database ..... n why the database downloaded from size is  missing tables

EDIT: Also the test site has post count appearing in it,but no post were there all boards were without posts
plz someone look into the matter n help me out
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Chas Large

It sounds as though phpMyAdmin has not fully uploaded the database in the first place BUT you say in your EDIT that there were no posts made in the test site. Do you have TWO sites?

Are you downloading the Test site data which sounds about right at 14MB for an empty forum and 56MB for a forum with lots of posts.

If you are trying to overwrite one dB with another then the two may coexist if they have different prefixes. The default is smf_ If they are loaded to the same MySql server then the two tables may be there but accessed by different schemas.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

busterone

There are several mentions of this issue here somewhere, but I did not search for them. I have seen it for myself as well. There are known issues with backing up the database from within the forum's admin area.  Information gets omitted, and sometimes is garbled and unreadable. I suggest using phpmyadmin to export your database and to import it into the new forum. You stated that your db size was 56 mb, so you may have an issue importing it through phpmyadmin as well.
Many hosts have a limit on the size that can be imported through phpmyadmin as well, and the import will time out or reach the memory limit, leaving the database incomplete. There are several options available for larger databases. You can try bigdump.php
Do a search for bigdump and how to use it, or if you have ssh access, use it. The import is much quicker and efficient with command line. I have had to use ssh since my db reached around 25 mb.

Chas Large

I agree with Busterone, I remember issues with phpMyAdmin many moons ago and I now use MySql Administrator available from the mySql website. I regularly download backups of my forum, typically 55Mb (250 members) and have never had a problem. I also use it to do a restore if required and run SQL queries again if required.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Joker™

i have a main forum as

freakygurus.com   when i download its database from site admin panel it was 14.9 MB n was missing many tables

now i setup one more site for testing purpose n when i uploaded my database there then only i came to know about this

the testing was was totally empty n was fresh RC2 installed.

When i went to my host admin panel n downloaded my database from there it was 56.3 MB

my real site has near about 6000 posts.

i dont know how to explain more than this  :'(

plz someone help me  out
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

Chas Large

Do you have different database names and server addresses for each forum database?

Joker™

database  names r different but table prefix r same
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Chas Large

OK, To summarise:

You have two forums LIVE and TEST.

You downloaded LIVE via host and the size = 56MB - All tables & data correct yes?

You downloaded LIVE via SMF and the size = 14MB - Tables Missing

You uploaded 14MB to TEST via Host and then saw missing data.

Is this correct so far?

Can you upload the 56MB file to TEST via host?

Joker™

yup that's totally correct

i uploaded that 56MB file to test site n it also showed same table missing >>> smf_settings
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Chas Large

OK I suggest you load the repair settings file to your test site and run that. You may still be using the paths to the old database within the TEST version so it may not have the correct settings imported

(What is Repair_settings.php)

Joker™

i did this also but after replacing database im still getting this error

Table 'fgsmf22.smf_settings' doesn't exist

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Chas Large

I think your table prefixes are different for the two lots of data, they can co exist in the same dB but of course if they are not referenced in SMF the same then SMF will only see the prefix it is programmed to see.

If you can inspect the dB manually you may see all the tables are there but some had different prefixes. Change the prefix in the Server Settings to match what you can see in the dB.

Joker™

as i wrote above .... prefix of both database r same
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Chas Large

Quote from: sid2varun on February 21, 2010, 07:15:02 AM
as i wrote above .... prefix of both database r same
OK but in your original post you refer to smf_settings then you refer to
Quote from: sid2varun on February 20, 2010, 07:59:20 PM
Table 'fgsmf22.smf_settings' doesn't exist
which is a different prefix. See why I'm confused and maybe SMF is too?

LiroyvH

Perhaps the PHP memory limitations and post_max_size of your host are set in a way that is causing you trouble. I suggest looking at it just to be sure it's not a server limitation issue.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Joker™

fgsmf22.smf_settings

i fgsmf22 is my new database name of test site

smf_  <<< this is the rable prefix of both databases

also there's no server limitation i asked my host also
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

LiroyvH

There must be a memory limit. Unless it is set to unlimited but that would be a bit of a risk.

Put this in a php file and upload it to your site: (like name it: phpinfo.php)

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

Look up the memory limit part and check what it is set to :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Joker™

Quote from: CoreISP on February 21, 2010, 05:39:34 PM
There must be a memory limit. Unless it is set to unlimited but that would be a bit of a risk.

Put this in a php file and upload it to your site: (like name it: phpinfo.php)

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

Look up the memory limit part and check what it is set to :)

it is 64 M
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Chas Large

@sid2varun

Sorry I have not responded earlier, I like so many other Support Helpers am a volunteer am probably in a different time zone to you too, so am not on all the time to respond as quickly as you might expect. Please bear this in mind.

The Memory limit you posted is fine, mine is only 20M so yours seems better.

I still cannot understand why this is happening. Do you have any other backups you could try?

Does your host give you several databases to use? if so it might be worth uploading the 56MB file to a new database and then using the repair settings file to point your forum to the new database. What is repair_settings.php?

busterone

To determine if the problem is in the export of your live forum db or the import process into your test forum -

Download a copy of your backup db from your live forum, unzip it if it is zipped, open it with a code editor such as notepad++
(do not use wordpad, msword, or any regular word processor)
Look for something like the following in the db dump
-- Table structure for table `smf_settings`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_settings`;
/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client */;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;
CREATE TABLE `smf_settings` (
  `variable` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`variable`(30))
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client */;

If the db backup from your live forum is missing table info, then there is a problem with your export.
if it is there, then your import is dropping the info. That would most likely be a host issue.

I have issues with my host's phpmyadmin exporting usable db dumps. I use ssh for both export and import and they never fail.

Joker™

Quote from: busterone on February 24, 2010, 05:36:44 PM
To determine if the problem is in the export of your live forum db or the import process into your test forum -

Download a copy of your backup db from your live forum, unzip it if it is zipped, open it with a code editor such as notepad++
(do not use wordpad, msword, or any regular word processor)
Look for something like the following in the db dump
-- Table structure for table `smf_settings`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_settings`;
/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client */;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;
CREATE TABLE `smf_settings` (
  `variable` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`variable`(30))
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client */;

If the db backup from your live forum is missing table info, then there is a problem with your export.
if it is there, then your import is dropping the info. That would most likely be a host issue.

I have issues with my host's phpmyadmin exporting usable db dumps. I use ssh for both export and import and they never fail.

first of big thanx for the reply

when i checked the database of my main site it was missing all of the above things u wrote to search

so it means there's some problem with my export ....

so how can i download my database properly ? can u explain a bit more
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

busterone

That would be an issue that your host should repair. There is an issue with phpmyadmin it appears.
My only suggestion is that if you have ssh access, then use that. If not, I would be bugging the host to find a solution myself. 
Maybe someone else has a better option to offer, but I do not know of any more.

Chas Large

I still use MySql Administrator as I am very familiar with it and it works for me, however it has been replaced now by MySql Workbench which can be downloaded from the MySql site here. Assuming of course you are using MySql rather than MSSQL for your database. If you are then you need to search Microsoft's site for an equivalent software.

Advertisement: