News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

database not getting downloaded properly

Started by Joker™, February 20, 2010, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busterone

To determine if the problem is in the export of your live forum db or the import process into your test forum -

Download a copy of your backup db from your live forum, unzip it if it is zipped, open it with a code editor such as notepad++
(do not use wordpad, msword, or any regular word processor)
Look for something like the following in the db dump
-- Table structure for table `smf_settings`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_settings`;
/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client */;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;
CREATE TABLE `smf_settings` (
  `variable` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`variable`(30))
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client */;

If the db backup from your live forum is missing table info, then there is a problem with your export.
if it is there, then your import is dropping the info. That would most likely be a host issue.

I have issues with my host's phpmyadmin exporting usable db dumps. I use ssh for both export and import and they never fail.

Joker™

Quote from: busterone on February 24, 2010, 05:36:44 PM
To determine if the problem is in the export of your live forum db or the import process into your test forum -

Download a copy of your backup db from your live forum, unzip it if it is zipped, open it with a code editor such as notepad++
(do not use wordpad, msword, or any regular word processor)
Look for something like the following in the db dump
-- Table structure for table `smf_settings`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_settings`;
/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client */;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;
CREATE TABLE `smf_settings` (
  `variable` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`variable`(30))
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client */;

If the db backup from your live forum is missing table info, then there is a problem with your export.
if it is there, then your import is dropping the info. That would most likely be a host issue.

I have issues with my host's phpmyadmin exporting usable db dumps. I use ssh for both export and import and they never fail.

first of big thanx for the reply

when i checked the database of my main site it was missing all of the above things u wrote to search

so it means there's some problem with my export ....

so how can i download my database properly ? can u explain a bit more
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

busterone

That would be an issue that your host should repair. There is an issue with phpmyadmin it appears.
My only suggestion is that if you have ssh access, then use that. If not, I would be bugging the host to find a solution myself. 
Maybe someone else has a better option to offer, but I do not know of any more.

Chas Large

I still use MySql Administrator as I am very familiar with it and it works for me, however it has been replaced now by MySql Workbench which can be downloaded from the MySql site here. Assuming of course you are using MySql rather than MSSQL for your database. If you are then you need to search Microsoft's site for an equivalent software.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: