News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Rebuild Attachment Thumbnails/Preview

Started by chep, February 23, 2010, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chep

Hi,

We moved to a new server and during the process some attachment thumbnails are missing but the file is there. If you click on the "red x" then you can see the image. What we would like to get rid of is the "red x" preview.

Is there a quick command I can run somewhere to regenerate these thumbnails/previews?

Thank you

Arantor

Arantor

I meant what package? Did you use FileZilla? If so it's possible it corrupted the files :S

As for rebuilding it, there's no easy and quick method. The only method I know of is to remove the thumbnails from Admin > Browse Files and let SMF rebuild them as necessary (which AFAIR it should be able to do quite happily)

Something like that

You can also change your thumbnail size or format. Each thumbnail will be generated anew when accessed.

chep

Well I have no doubt that some files became corrupted. That's an entire subject in itself which can be discussed. However my main objective is to get those previews built again.

So what I did was edit the thumnail size but it didn't seem to recover them.

It would be a pretty exhaustive effort to resize 78,000 thumbnail attachments manually.

chep

Hmm I wonder if the thumbnail files were all deleted. Would SMF then force itself to regenerate them when viewers loaded the page? Assuming the thumbnails are easy enough to grep from the command line and delete.

Arantor

No you can't just grep them (since that's a text search...), nor can you ls them either, since they appear to be regular attachment files.

Kays

Are the original images still viewable. If so, resizing the thumbnails should force new ones to be created.

Which version SMF?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

chep

Hmm Ok. This is SMF 1.1.11

Example - Click on the "red x" to see the cat (works). Click on the paperclip to download and view (works).

I changed this setting lower in hopes it would generate a new preview as suggested. It did not seem to "resolve" the "red x" issue.

Admin --> Attachments and Avatars -->  Under Attachment Settings --> Maximum width of thumbnails -- Was changed from 750 to 700

Note: I have always had these checked on as in yes I want to do them.

Admin --> Attachments and Avatars -->  Under Attachment Settings --> Display image attachments as pictures under post
Admin --> Attachments and Avatars -->  Under Attachment Settings --> Resize images when showing under posts

Advertisement: