Accounts/Scripts Executions

Started by puccio, March 04, 2010, 03:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puccio

Hi There,
I received an email yesterday from my hosting, telling me that I´m using more CPU time and Accounts Executions that I´m allowed.

Here you have what I got so far:

A link to your forum
http://foro.simplementevolar.com/

A link to your status.php
http://foro.simplementevolar.com/status.php

a link to your phpinfo.php
http://foro.simplementevolar.com/phpinfo.php

Is this a dedicated server or shared host
It´s a Shared Account on www.siteground.com

The Number of posts your forum has
Users create 150/200 new post per day.

The Average number of users
Most Online Today: 25
Most Online Ever: 50
Average: 20 users for 30min.
Registered Users: 235

A list of mods which you have installed
None
I had Aeva Media and YouTube BBCode, but both of them uninstalled since yesterday.

Do you still have performance issues if you use the default theme?
Yes.

A list of the suggestions you have already implemented
I already:
*Move my uploaded avatars directory
*Disable hostname lookups
*Disable Calendar
*Disable Report Error Log, since the table (smf_log_errors) was as big as the one with the messages (smf_messages) ! I also delete the content of the Log Errors table.

Program Versions
SMF - 1.1.11
Apache - 1.3.41
MySQL - 5.0.81
PHP - 5.2.5
phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.5

Charts
Here you have my weekly charts and what exactly my hosting means by CPU time and Accounts Executions.

As you see from the charts, the problems starts right when the users start using the forum, and after some of the changes that I made yesterday we manage to lower the CPU time, but I still have problems with the Account Executions.

Miscellaneous
I switch servers like one month ago, so it´s a clean installation over a backup DB.

Most of the posts (80%) contain pictures since it´s an aviation photography site. None of them are hosted in the server, we don´t have the attachments enable.

Trying to look for problems I found out in the stats I had an IP address that made 94.708 hits and pages during February, and the second one made only 3348 pages and 46907 hits, which I found really strange. Of course I banned that IP (IP range actually) and I already identify the user. But even with him out, I´m still overusing my resources according to my hosting.

Another strange thing that I found looking inside the stats is that the server ip have the same problems. Hits and pages going through the roof, but only for that IP. When I asked the hosting about this, they reply: " The XXX.XX.XX.XX IP address is actually your hosting server IP address. If you say many entries with it in your access logs, this means that you have a self-referring script on your website. This is not a standard SMF behavior and can be caused by additional SMF modules you may have installed. Please try disabling any additional modules and check whether your script executions is reduced."

Stats for the forum only for march (4 days)

According to them, this are the numbers from yesterday, the number infront is the total times this file has been accessed for the past 24 hours.
25034 /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/index.php forum
6966 /home/simplem4/public_html/portada/index.php  Home Page

Right now I have the CPU Time Usage under control after the changes that I made yesterday, but Account/Script Executions are still a problem.

I used to run this same forum in a really, REALLY crappy hosting account with another company, that except for a couple PHP Stack Overflow problems always run without any CPU problems. Actually the reason that I change to this one is that it´s Linux, and a solution for my Stack Overflow problem.

The forum it´s installed on a subdomain.

Sorry for making the post so long but I don´t want to waste anyone´s time so I write all the info up front.

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Pablo

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Well, I don't want to upset you, but Siteground is another crappy host to go for with SMF. It can not handle the websites well due to its overselling and user restrictions. With only about 25 users every day and 200 posts daily, it should not be a problem at all. According to me, you have done quite alot to optimize the forum.

The only thing I can think of is incomplete install of modifications. Can you please list down your modifications list so that we can think of other possibilities out ?

puccio

Hi Flamer,
Thanks for the quick reply!

Is this the modifications that you are referring to?

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I didn't install SMF manually, we did it though Fantastico Software that I have in my Control Panel.

What´s driving me crazy it´s the amount of hits made by the server, it´s almost 20 times a regular user.

Pablo

青山 素子

Aeva takes a lot of resources. If you must use it, disable checking for sites except for those that are used. The URL processing it does on each post is likely one of the major contributors to the high CPU usage you are seeing.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

puccio

I already uninstall Aeva since it´s not a must for us, do you think I have to delete it too or it´s the same?.

I manage to download the usage almost half of previous days, but they are still over the roof for only 25 users on line on the busiest hour.
Thanks for the advice!

Pablo

青山 素子

Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't notice the link text. Uninstalling should be enough.

I'm not sure what else to advise. Siteground is fairly bad on hosting, and if you're hitting that without any mods and little traffic, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps someone more experienced with shared hosting will be able to provide some thoughts.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

puccio

Tanks anyway Motoko, just in case I just completely remove Aeva.

I´m not expert at all, but at least for me this it´s extremely strange. I have too many hits, and the amounts of visitors remains the same!

On the 2nd of March I banned two IP´s and manage to cut pages views by half, but hits remains fairly high.

Is it possible that this is my problem? That it´s not "forum" related, but it´s common visitors causing problems (I suppose with viruses or something else in their computers?)
Again, I´m not expert in these matters, but it´s the only thing that I can think off.

Thanks

Pablo

puccio

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but it´s driving me crazy.

I activate the errors log for just 30 min and it came up with a 21 pages log!

Everytime a user connects to the forum I get this two errors, several times:

8: Undefined index: hola_member_ndt
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 188

Quote8: Undefined variable: webmaster_email
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php (eval?)
Line: 35

For example, user Delta connects to the forum:

12:04:52
http://foro.simplementevolar.com/index.php
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)

12:04:52

12:04:58
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Línea: 188

12:05:01
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)

12:05:03
http://foro.simplementevolar.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=269;type=avatar
8: Undefined variable: webmaster_email
File: /home/simplem4/public_html/foro/Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php (eval?)
Line: 35

12:05:14

Imagine that for every user that I have on line everytime they click on anything.

Should I post this on a separte topic inside SMF 1.x Support forum, since this it´s not a Server related issue?

Thanks again.

Pablo

青山 素子

That looks like some custom code on your forum, perhaps. What kind of customization has been done?
Motoko-chan

puccio

Siteground install the SMF for us, using Fantastico Deluxe Software.
We install the Spanish lenguage since we are an Argentinean forum and that´s pretty much it. "hola_member_ndt" it´s for sure a problem with the lenguage package.

I´m start to thinking to do a clean manual install and start all over, importing just the users, forums and messages.

faliro

Quote from: Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R) on March 04, 2010, 03:58:40 PM
Well, I don't want to upset you, but Siteground is another crappy host to go for with SMF. It can not handle the websites well due to its overselling and user restrictions. With only about 25 users every day and 200 posts daily, it should not be a problem at all. According to me, you have done quite alot to optimize the forum.

The only thing I can think of is incomplete install of modifications. Can you please list down your modifications list so that we can think of other possibilities out ?

I am with siteground and my forum is constantly being closed for going over the executions. My forum has 22 members.. I have got rid of most the bots.. just annoyed about this..

Advertisement: