News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Quick Ban on Account Delete

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, March 05, 2010, 06:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shazoo!

Worked beautifully on my 2.0.2

Thank you for this mod!!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Ken.

Great Mod.  8)

There is one item for the wish list though:
In the default 'Add New Ban' page it gives you text boxes for adding Reason & Notes. Is it possible to add those text boxes (or similar) to this delete mod?

Thanks... Ken.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

SMFHacks.com Team

Quote from: Ken. on April 12, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
Great Mod.  8)

In the default 'Add New Ban' page it gives you text boxes for adding Reason & Notes. Is it possible to add those text boxes (or similar) to this delete mod?

Thanks... Ken.
Put it done as a feature request.
Disclaimer: SMFHacks.com Team is not affiliated with the SMF Team or the SimpleMachines NPO.
Latest Mods:
Community Suite
Newsletter Pro SMF Gallery Pro SMF Classifieds SMF Store

Ken.

Quote from: SMFHacks.com Team on May 12, 2012, 11:41:30 AM
Quote from: Ken. on April 12, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
Great Mod.  8)

Thanks... Ken.
Put it done as a feature request.

Thanks SMFHacks...
where is the feature requests topic?
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

vbgamer45

Just keeping a text file and assigning to my developers to work.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Ken.

A little bump for the cause.  :)

Just wondering if any progress is being made on the text box idea.

EDIT: for spelling.

vbgamer45

No progress I would need to assign it to one of my helpers to work on when they have time.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Ken.

IMSassafras

I am going to add this mod soon.  Thank you very much for this mod!!  It will help dearly!

I do, though, have a question.  What "ban name" is given to the banned/deleted account?  I have come across names of spammers who returned and joined again.  I and some other admins had failed in the past to add the "name" as a trigger.  When this happens, I have been adding a number after the "ban name".  Does your mod use the user name or the member number?  Or something else?

I hope I have been lucid enough in my questioning?

Warmly
Sass
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. ~ Bahá'u'lláh

IMSassafras

Quote from: IMSassafras on November 02, 2012, 08:12:18 PM
I am going to add this mod soon.  Thank you very much for this mod!!  It will help dearly!

I do, though, have a question.  What "ban name" is given to the banned/deleted account?  I have come across names of spammers who returned and joined again.  I and some other admins had failed in the past to add the "name" as a trigger.  When this happens, I have been adding a number after the "ban name".  Does your mod use the user name or the member number?  Or something else?

I hope I have been lucid enough in my questioning?

Warmly
Sass

Interesting ban name...  The spammers name and the date banned.  Very imaginative and yet simple.

Thanks for the mod and the update to 1.1.17.

It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. ~ Bahá'u'lláh

vbgamer45

Glad you enjoy it. Might make some more antispam mods if they are helpful.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

MrMike

This is, in my opinion, one of the "must have" mods for SMF. I install it on virtually every single forum I create and the amount of time it's saved me is beyond measure.

I know the idea behind SMF is to keep the base package "lean and mean", but if it was up to me I'd have this mod rolled into the base code. It's small, it's useful, and it works like a charm.

vbgamer45

Glad you enjoy it. Yeah it is one of my most used mods that I used on my sites as well.

I have rolled into my ezforum forum software based on SMF and wished this was in the default SMF code.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

I think there's a bug in this mod, at least a user I look after reported something odd.

They do a ban on all the criteria but afterwards it seems the ban on user id is removed again - because the new bans are added too early, before the call to deleteMembers() which will remove any ban trigger based on a user id.

As a result there is no point adding a ban trigger on the user id once the account is deleted because it's only going to be deleted shortly after as far as I can see... Could be wrong, though, but I'll let you investigate.

vbgamer45

Will look into it I wish smf had a separate log/entry membername bans so they are not deleted when deleting the account.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Nah. You don't actually need that.

Instead of creating the username ban, add the name to the reserved name list.

vbgamer45

Hmm only part I would worry about is getting too big there if you are banning multiple people a day.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

If you're banning multiple people a day something is fundamentally wrong.

Banning doesn't work against spammers. A forum that I set up and no longer maintain demonstrates this - they've had thousands of spammers, and they put in bans for them (and didn't delete the account) - except most of the bans have never been hit even once.

MrMike

Banning by IP is almost worthless due to proxy servers and rooted Windows boxes.

If your forum is being hit by spammers this often you may want to use some additional measures. I've found using multiple traps like time-gating, stumble fields (empty and filled), secret word fields, and the avatar verification mod seem to knock out the vast majority.

I had (have) a forum that was getting 100+ registrations a day from various spambots, and using the techniques above reduced it to one or two, sometimes none. And it didn't affect real users at all.

Quote from: Arantor on April 24, 2013, 03:14:48 PM
If you're banning multiple people a day something is fundamentally wrong.

Banning doesn't work against spammers. A forum that I set up and no longer maintain demonstrates this - they've had thousands of spammers, and they put in bans for them (and didn't delete the account) - except most of the bans have never been hit even once.

Advertisement: