Mobile/SMS Notifications for SMF! (1.0 Beta RELEASED!)

Started by jblazeofek, March 07, 2010, 04:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBlaze

How would you like to be notified on your mobile phone every time someone makes a reply to one of your topics, a topic you wish to be notified on, and also on new private messages? In similar style to the way sites like Facebook do, I am working on a mod that allows you to do just so.

This mod ties into the already existing email notification system in SMF. It does so by adding an extra field in which to put your mobile phone number, and then asks if you wish to receive mobile updates instead of emails.

Enough boring stuff, on with the features!

-> Notifications are sent as SMS (160 char limit)
-> tr.im/bit.ly shortened links provided for easy linkage
-> Notifications for topic replies and new private messages

The one downside is that not all cell services are covered at the moment. Right now, it only covers Alltel, AT&T, Boost Mobile, Nextel, Sprint PCS, T-Mobile, Verizon and Virgin Mobile. As more providers are researched, I will add them.

I would love to hear your feedback, and also any feature requests you may have. Please visit http://www.jblaze.net/forum

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

sAce

james_0_0_7

Wow man nice !!

Please don't forget Indian Telecom Provider too.....  :P

MultiformeIngegno

Really really cool!! :D

Don't forget Vodafone for european users! :)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Sudhakar Arjunan

Sounds interest and worth too.

I may help you in finding codes for pushing sms's in India.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Kelmino

I went to go to your site and it says it is down  :(

I was going to ask if you could make it compatible with 1.x.x as well as 2.x.x

I'm not sure how much of our user base would use it, but this is a mod I would definitely use  :)

JBlaze

Jason Clemons

sAce

Snogmarr

Error: Could not find SSI.php. Please make sure that this file is in the same directory as Settings.php.

This
i gey on install yet they both exist?

JBlaze

It's a bug with the package. I'm going to patch it tonight.
Jason Clemons

KensonPlays

Nice! My phone can handle 160 chars. but lots of people can still only handle 140, and what if they have a limit of txt's a month?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

KensonPlays

Error: Could not find SSI.php. Please make sure that this file is in the same directory as Settings.php.
Couldn't install :( (yes forum is in public_html, SSI.php, SSI.php~ and Settings.php Settings.php~ all exist IN SAME FOLDER!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

JBlaze

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 08, 2010, 01:56:41 AM
Nice! My phone can handle 160 chars. but lots of people can still only handle 140, and what if they have a limit of txt's a month?

No, standard SMS is 160 chars. Unfortunately, some carriers like to add their own nasties to text messages which reduce the amount of chars you can send.

As for texting limits, that is an option I'll have to consider. But most people nowadays have unlimited texting anyways, and mostly those who have unlimited texting plans are the ones who use SMS notifications anyways.

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 08, 2010, 02:06:04 AM
Couldn't install :( (yes forum is in public_html, SSI.php, SSI.php~ and Settings.php Settings.php~ all exist IN SAME FOLDER!
Yes I know. Read above. I haven't fixed the package yet.
Jason Clemons

KensonPlays

Ok. The sooner the better! (I tried registering, sent activation email resend twice, no activation email)

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

!RFAN

great mod..
btw.. how it will work?? will it send notification for all forum posts?? or members will be allowed to subscribe for any specific topic???

an please please add Pakistani networks like Warid, Telenor, Mobilink, Zong etc...please

JBlaze

Quote from: amigozone on June 17, 2010, 04:06:44 PM
great mod..
btw.. how it will work?? will it send notification for all forum posts?? or members will be allowed to subscribe for any specific topic???

an please please add Pakistani networks like Warid, Telenor, Mobilink, Zong etc...please

It will work the same way SMF notifications works, except it will send them as SMS instead of emails.
Jason Clemons

diamondred123

so you basically mean it will text me?

I cant wait!!
Learner but knows a little

Dzonny

Any updates on this?
Anyone tried it? Jblaze can you add some more providers, like serbian "Telekom Srbija"?

Advertisement: