News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Broken Images

Started by Xarcell, March 10, 2010, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

I've gotten something weird going on. I upgraded my site from SMF 2.0 RC2 to SMF RC3. Everything seems fine. Then when I install mods, they install fine. However when I view the mods, wither it be in the normal sections or admin sections, most of the images are missing/broken. I took a look in my directories, and the images are there, but they show as broken via browser.

So I did a search here trying to find some answers. So far, no luck. I did find something a little off though. In a previous topic, a person tells the guy with the issue that he needs to make sure the style.css is present in the Themes > default folder. I don't have a style.css. Am I supposed to? I double checked the packages and they don't have one either. So I take it there is no style.css in the 2.0 versions?

Anyway, any ideas why my images show up as broken links? I have two sites on the same server. One works find while the other has broken images.

Xarcell

Ok I tracked down the issue. The mods I have installed did not put the images into any of my custom themes, which I was using.

:P

Arantor

Nope. style.css was replaced into index.css and other files.

What URLs are being requested by the browser? (In capable browsers, i.e. not IE) you can right click and get the image's URL separately. (In IE you have to right click, go to properties and faff about)

EDIT: That was going to be my next question. Use the Install In Custom Themes option. If the mod is properly written it should be able to do that.

Xarcell

The mods were written by the same author. Maybe it should have been written differently. maybe he should have used " ', $settings['default_theme_url'], ' " instead of" ', $settings['theme_url'], ' " for the icons and stuff. But i reckon he wanted the user's to have that flexiablity to custom icons.

Arantor

$settings['theme_url'] is considered the 'proper' way to do it, especially seeing that the package manager will install on to multiple themes if used during package install.

Krux

I understand this is an old topic, but I am having this problem and still trying to find a solution.
It seems no matter what package I download, if it has its own images.. they won't show on any custom themes.
This really limits me on what packages I can use, as if trying to find RC5 compatible packages isn't limiting enough..

I checked the permissions on the custom theme's folders (recursively), and they all check out at 777.. yet even if I use an FTP
program, it fails to force these images into their proper destination.
Is there any known, and probably..simple solution to this?

SteveFJ

Hello, suddenly I have the same problem too. The forum was upgraded to RC5 about a week ago and all seemed fine. I am questioning has the site been hacked. the text editor isn't working properly either.

Krux

I'm using RC5, and the addons that require images won't display images, but their main function seems to still work.
I looked in the custom theme folders where the images are supposed to go and they aren't there and I can't manually
place them there.  help?

Illori

this topic is marked solved so the support staff will ignore it, please open a new topic for your issue.

Advertisement: