[WIP] rc3 avatar link mod!

Started by KensonPlays, March 12, 2010, 02:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

Mostly me, in assosciation with labradoodle-360, are making a mod that only works on rc3, you can pick where a click to your profile links to! Should be in queue today!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Marcus Forsberg

Sorry? Not sure I got what this is all about?

KensonPlays

i'm trying to make a simple mod for rc3, that when you click on a person's avatar in a post on the forum, it will take you to a link of their choice. the setting is in each person's "forum profile" area. If blank, it'll link to their profile!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

JBlaze

Quote from: Kcmartz on March 12, 2010, 02:23:35 PM
But it's gonna be made a mod!
Seriously, try making a mod that is useful. Something this small and pointless just clogs up the mod queue.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

KensonPlays

I'm sure people would use it on some forums, mine, for sure, and my friend's forum...

==ANYONE else would like this to be made?!?!? post here!!==

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

perplexed

I don't really see the point sorry.  There is already a link to profile and a website link on every post so why would you need another link doing the same thing.  Not for me.

Arantor

Seriously, this isn't the sort of thing that should be a mod, and producing such 'mods' actually ruins street cred, sorry.

lamp108

KensonPlays

Quote from: lamp108 on March 12, 2010, 11:51:33 PM
Thank U  Thanks U  ;D
We are already almost done, just waiting for labradoodle to package it up and upload it to his site for me to test!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Yahmez

Kinda funny how this idea was blasted yet it somehow made it into "feature frozen" RC3...  ::)

Arantor

Except that the thing above isn't a feature in RC3.

The change made in RC3 was to make avatars link to profile. Not sure that's really a feature, and more a theme tweak, but there you go.

The mod proposal is to make the link customisable so it goes to places other than the profile... which definitely isn't in RC3.

Yahmez

My mistake but either way I would expect to find some encouragement for someone learning to make small mods.

Arantor

Changing about half a dozen lines of code - which is all it is, really - is probably not big enough to be considered a mod.

Yahmez

I know what you are saying Arantor, but I think you fail to see my point.

There should be/is no limit to how small a mod is, as long as it functions as intended and does not throw errors.  Here we have a young man trying to learn what he can about coding here and he wants to make a small mod (really there are others on the mod site that are smaller). After starting a topic he gets told by more respected members & friends that it would just "clog the mod queue" or that it "ruins his street cred"?? The pure fact that he is learning the software and learning about coding w/ SMF should be enough reason to encourage him, but instead he got only one nice reply. Even if he is the only one to ever use the mod, it's still something to encourage and not berate. Some constructive criticism even but sheesh!

I commend you Kcmartz for not letting some naysayers stop you or even warrant your reply.

Liam.

Arantor, check the "Insensitive Case Smilies" mod. It only edits one line, and that was accepted as a mod.

And if my BBCode mods have been accepted, I don't see why this shouldn't be...

Arantor

Oh, I've submitted one line mods before.

This all stems from the discussion a bit back about whether things that are at best tweaks should just be in the Tips/Tricks board rather than clogging up the mod queue.

If it takes more lines of code in pure packaging than the mod's code, odds are it's probably better for Tips & Tricks.

Matthew K.

First of all, I have long since completed the requested mod as per Kcmartz's request.

I agree with JBlaze and Arantor somewhat, but I also agree that it's up to the mod authors on what they wish to write, and as long as it works, it should be accepted. I also think that people need to stop discouraging younger coders who could be future mod authors.

Labradoodle-360

Liam.

Well it all depends on what the customization team approves. If a simple one-line mod can get in, I don't see why a few line mods shouldn't.

Advertisement: