News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Damned spam!

Started by g2ku, March 12, 2010, 11:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g2ku

My site is completely unusable thanks to spammers taking over. I posted here (somewhere - can't find it) some weeks ago and people were very helpful offering all sorts of advice. So far I have banned about 50 words making a nonsense of their (spammers) posts, but still they persist.

Someone suggested asking questions of new applicants, thus upsetting their robots, but I can't find how to switch that facility on.

So my question is - how do I switch the questionaire facility on?

Any other bright ideas regarding how to deter spammers would be appreciated.

Cheers, Doug

Kays

Hi, welcome to SMF. :)

Since this is only your second post it wasn't difficult to find the first one. :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=368039.msg2517424#msg2517424

What you're referring to is a mod which needs to be installed. If you search the Mod Site for "spam" and you'll find quite a few mods which can aid in reducing spam. Some which were suggested on that thread.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

goldwinggl

I highly recommend two things.
First and foremost as has been mentioned by myself and others, switch to Member Approval and second, INSTALL the below Mod.
If they can't Join, they can't Post.....Simple as that..
This Mod works VERY well, I no longer have to check them out myself and My Joining Emails have been reduced by 80+%.....
Check out some of the other Mods as well. They seem to be able to help you clean up the mess you already have.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1519

g2ku

Thanks guys,

I'll attend to that now. Also, here's what my web host had to say about it:

"You need to refer to the manual or user guide for your forum script.
It's a security hole in your forum script."

Does that sound right to you?

Thanks, Doug

Paul_Pauline

Spam is not a security issue.

It is just people or an automated programme opening an account and posting things you don't want them to post  :o

Mostly it's free advertising for them !
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Advertisement: