News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMTP problems(not sending emails)

Started by matthuppman, March 16, 2010, 03:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthuppman

I have never really gotten any forum software to send mail through my smtp server. I am running windows server 2003. After i thought i was setting it up wrong i used hxxp://www .ilopia.com/Articles/WindowsServer2003/EmailServer.aspx. That is how it is set up now. Iv tried to using both php and smtp options. When i use php i get the error below:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
hxxp://www .mattsgaming.com/index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=clear;e2df87b9c=3993296f10110179393f80374c23b9ce
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
2: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: C:/xampp/htdocs/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php
Line: 1005

When i use smtp option i get:
http://www.mattsgaming.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21
Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

I just know, as i am writing this, realized i can send an email but it never gets to its recipient. My mail server requires user name and password to use and i'm not sure how to set it up with php. With the smtp option i put a user name and password and i get the error above. Im lost and have no more ideas. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i have used the search option on the forums, iv searched for a little bit and if i post this now i'm hoping it will go a little faster.

Chas Large

Normal SMTP settings in SMF use something like the following:

SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yourdomainname.? ? ?
SMTP Port:    25
SMTP Username: name@yourdomain.? ? ? < Only required if your Host demands authenticated sending
SMTP Password: ******                          < Only required if your Host demands authenticated sending

Now the bit most often missed:

Admin > Configuration > General  >  Webmaster Email Address: webmaster@yourdomainname.? ? ?

If the webmaster's e-mail address is different to the SMTP sending domain then it won't get through, the domains have to be the same.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

matthuppman

I set it up as you said and i am using the smtp option and i'm still getting
http://www.mattsgaming.com/index.php?scheduled=mailq;ts=1268867265
504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

More info:
I am hosting both the website and the email server on the same box. My SMTP server is hxxp:mattsgaming.com [nonactive]. It does require authentication. For the sake of it, it would help quite a bit, lets say the user name is "admin" and the password is "1234".

More Questions:
1. Would the user name, when using the SMTP option, be just admin, or [email protected]

Chas Large

It sounds like you have your own server and so I would guess you know what you've set up but normally, yes, the username would be designated as an e-mail address.

If you have another SMTP account somewhere that allows sending as SMTP you could try that. GMail doesn't work.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: