News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Core Features Error

Started by harlemS, March 16, 2010, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harlemS

Hi guys, I just upgraded from the RC2 release to RC3 and decided to check out some of the new feature choices, however every I try to power on or power off a option on the "Core Features" menu, I get an error. that says "Your Session Has Timed Out" Is this a known bug? Ive tried logging out and logging back in and user more than one account and still nothing. Thanks for any help you can provide!

smp420

Go to Administration Center » Server Settings » Cookies and Sessions and turn on database driven sessions.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

Arantor

What theme are you using, out of interest?

harlemS

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 06:43:02 AM
What theme are you using, out of interest?
I'm trying to create my own, using parts from the default curves theme to build off of.

Arantor

What template(s) have you modified?

harlemS

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 02:49:35 PM
Just the SMF Default Core Curves Theme

Quote from: smp420 on March 17, 2010, 04:00:57 AM
Go to Administration Center » Server Settings » Cookies and Sessions and turn on database driven sessions.

I did what you suggested, however the problem is still there. It's not a big issue with everyday use, but I wanted activate some of that stuff in the core features menu. Did also try switching themes, to a official one, but the error still happens.

Arantor

Quote from: harlemS on March 17, 2010, 02:52:30 PM

yes, yes, which FILE(S)?

Though you say it fails on default theme. So, what are the settings in Cookies and Sessions?

harlemS

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 02:54:23 PM
Quote from: harlemS on March 17, 2010, 02:52:30 PM

yes, yes, which FILE(S)?

Though you say it fails on default theme. So, what are the settings in Cookies and Sessions?

Just indextemplate.php so far.

harlemS

Database driven sessions are deactivated, browser caching is deactivated, and timeout is set to 2880 seconds. local storage of cookies is disabled, & subdomain independent cookies is also disabled.

Arantor

Activate DB driven sessions first.

harlemS

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 03:38:48 PM
Activate DB driven sessions first.
Just reactivated DB driven sessions, and i'm still getting the error.

Arantor

Now with it still enabled, log out, then log back in.

harlemS

Sorry my reply took so long, but I was on the way home. Anywho I tried it again after logging out and I still get the same error. I did do an upgrade from th latest version of smf 1, so could that be causing it?

Arantor

It shouldn't be the cause, no.

* Arantor is confused.

Try enabling subdomain independent cookies next, then log out/log back in.

harlemS

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 06:01:59 PM
It shouldn't be the cause, no.

* Arantor is confused.

Try enabling subdomain independent cookies next, then log out/log back in.

Still getting that same "An Error Has Occurred!
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again." error.

smartdeviceresource

Did you delete the Cookie after switching to DB driven?

(Oops I'm supposed not to try and answer questions)
* Smartdeviceresource Runs back under a rock and hides
after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

Arantor

SDR: That's a very, very good question. Logging out and back in should fix it, but you never know...

harlemS

Quote from: smartdeviceresource on March 17, 2010, 06:51:56 PM
Did you delete the Cookie after switching to DB driven?

(Oops I'm supposed not to try and answer questions)
* Smartdeviceresource Runs back under a rock and hides

I actually used a completely different browser just to make sure it wasn't a cookie issue. Ill try again though.

Update, Yep still doesnt work.

RobertMfromLI

I tried all of the above, and have the same problem still.

Here is what I do remember. Core Features was working in v2.0rc2 - not in rc3. I have used ModernDark and the Default theme (WITH success v2rc2, WITHOUT success v2rc3).

My error log shows absolutely nothing oddly.

Best,
Robert

Star Trek New Voyages: Kirk's Five Year Mission Continues
Line Producer - Webmaster - Forum Admin - Contributing Producer - Gaffer

Star Trek Phase 2 - Enemy: Starfleet Released!

RobertMfromLI

OK... so I have run the database checking utils:
Maint -> Forum Maint ->Database -> Optimize

Maint -> Forum Maint ->Routine -> Find and Repair any Errors

I have also checked (long check and repair) all tables using MySQL directly (none found)

Still, same problem.

Best,
Robert

RobertMfromLI

So... there is only one other thing that happened during the timeframe from when the Core Features section worked and when it stopped working.

I had just finished all the upgrades from my "test" version (which was SMF v2rc2) to SMF v2rc3 (I used the upgrade package). I requested our registrar change the DNS to point to our server (it was originally pointed to the previous host's server)... they hosed it and entered a redirect to the server's IP address instead of adding an A Record or CNAME. For two days, the server was responding to requests by IP instead of by domain name. That was about a month ago. It was a week or so after that, that I tried enabling some more of the "Core Features" and started getting the error.

I had the test server up and running for a few weeks, with all going well.*

I dont know if that's related, but that is the only other event I can think of that may have affected this.

The only other thing I have noticed is that the default theme is showing a number of files that are still at RC2 level. Thinking there may have been some theme changes that were not present and may be causing this issue, I (last night) searched for themes (on this site) that specifically stated RC3 compatibility (by choosing RC3 as my target version of SMF) and installed the Vidio theme. Installing that and changing the forum's theme to it did not fix this issue either.

So... I am at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

MORE DETAILS/SEQUENCE OF EVENTS BELOW
* The sequence of events are as follows:
(TEST RUN)

- I pulled the dump file from the old server/host a month before we switched from them (was at www.startreknewvoyages.com/forum/). It was running SMF v1.1.4 I believe.

- Ran "repair-settings.php" to fix the new forum which was now at forums.startreknewvoyages.com

- I set up the exact same version of SMF on our server, imported the database, and tested. (ALL OK)

- I downloaded the appropriate SMF v2rc2 upgrade package and upgraded. (ALL OK - except some themes that were kinda flaky - I removed those)

- Tested some of the Core Features (Moderation, Warnings, etc) - all worked OK.

(LIVE RUN)

- When it came time to do the "real" move, I repeated the above steps from scratch (ie: removed the database files from the test run, all SMF files, etc - keeping only a backup of a modified version of ModernDark theme)

- Completed all of the above steps with the new database dump- Downloaded SMF v2rc3 upgrade and upgraded the forum software to it

- Our registrar changed at the same time our host did, losing all the DNS entries. I had them recreate the entries as I mentioned above, but they hosed the forums.startrek... subdomain on the first attempt.

- They fixed the DNS, it propagated in a day (meaning 2 days total of hosed DNS)

- A week or so later, I tried re-enabling the Core Features noted above... no go.

The only other thing I did was change the Time Zone info on Features and Options -> General

Trying to reset it now, but I forget what arbitrary (and incorrect) value it was at originally

Sorry this post is so long, but since we havent gotten anywhere with this, and no one has found a solution yet (at least none I have found via searching the forums) I figured as much detail as possible might be helpful.

RobertMfromLI

Found the solution - it was the theme (including the Default Theme from v2rc2 that was not replaced when I upgraded).

More details here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=370175.msg2607018#msg2607018

Best,
Robert

Advertisement: