News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How was SMF made?

Started by dnelsalty, May 16, 2010, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

mrtrc266...   what the heck does that have to do with the ability (or inability) of learning/knowing coding?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mrtrc266

Quote from: Kindred on May 16, 2010, 11:55:32 PM
mrtrc266...   what the heck does that have to do with the ability (or inability) of learning/knowing coding?

Nothing at all really (about as much as music does I suppose) but I would hope that someone would learn to respect copyright's before learning coding so they don't do the same thing with possibly taking credit for someone's else code, intentionally or not.

It's possible that dnelsalty didn't know that it's NOT okay to say a theme/code was made by him/her when it's definitely NOT okay and is extremely frowned upon in most communities and in some cases even illegal.

Sorry, I was looking out for a potentially unaware SMF member and Dziner Studios as I would ANY other member SMF or contributor to SMF and it's members.

What if it actually said something like this without any mention of SMF?
Powered by: OnlineModders © 2010

Also, I do see that OnlineModders is under new ownership so it could have been the previous owners? It's an easy fix though.

Find /forums/Themes/express/index.template.php
<div id="ds_copyright">
      <strong>OM Theme</strong> Design By: <a target="_blank" href="http://www.onlinemodders.com">OnlineModders</a> &copy; 2010
</div>

Replace with
<div id="ds_copyright">
      <strong>Express</strong> Design By <a href="http://www.dzinerstudio.com" target="_blank">DzinerStudio</a>
</div>

Sorry to interrupt the conversation about music and art LOL  ;)

Kindred

mrtrc266, if you actually READ the topic, you might understand that the music comments were actually, directly related to the conversation since someone was comparing learning music to learning coding.

again, you obviously did not READ the topic, since copyright or credit was not even mentioned in the slightest...   not even suggested.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mrtrc266

Kindred I did READ the topic, sorry but my comment was more sarcasm.

I guess I should have posted that somewhere else, you can split or delete it if you like. Once again though...

What if it actually said something like this without any mention   of SMF?
Powered by: OnlineModders © 2010

...would it still be dismissed? I've never seen copyright infringement taken so lightly.

Arantor

Ugh, I see what the problem is - and I don't think Kindred realised what you were getting at, mrtrc266.

The site in the OP's signature is violating the copyright of the theme designer, since it is a modified DzinerStudios theme, not even that seriously modded - mostly just a change of a few images.

And yes, breach of copyright is an issue - but it's one SMF is not obliged to defend because it's not SMF's copyright at stake; but it is very much Bikken's, and I think a nice PM to him is in order... and it certainly doesn't bode well for someone learning coding.

mrtrc266

Thank you Arantor, exactly my point. I totally understand that SMF cannot defend the infringement on Dziner Studio and I was simply pointing out to dnelsalty that it's NOT okay to claim something as being your when it's not.

The intent was to have a couple other members of SMF chime in and say something to that effect as well, not get into an argument with the Operations Manager of SMF LOL. I like it around here.

The most alarming thing was the fact that he's wanting to building something similar to SMF which would take a TON of work and copyrights are removed (not removed but renamed) from a theme that has a couple MINOR edits.

Kindred

I see...   you didn't ever mention specifically WHY you brought up the copyright comments. :P
Слaва
Украинi

SoLoGHoST

Ok, here we go again...lol.

Quote from: Kindred on May 16, 2010, 10:24:28 PM
Sorry.... coding is not at all like music.

Music is just another language.  Just another means of expressing yourself.  Coding is exactly the same, another language.  Sure it could be a lot of languages to learn, but than there are many instruments to learn also.  All you need is the determination to build up the skill required for that language.  Ohh, and let's not forget "Self Discipline"

With Music, you can "get it", even without having any musical background...  however, most teenagers (in the US, at least) have a good grounding in music and music theory from elementary and secondary school music classes. In the same vein, very few have ANY grounding in logical coding.

This is not true today, maybe yesterday that could be said, but certainly not in the world we live in today.

Also...   learning how to code is not like you example... with music, you COULD pick up a guitar and learn a specific set of strokes and fingerings for one song. With coding, if you don't know the background functions and coding methods, you can't do diddly.

Coding is based from the same principles, trial and error.  So, ofcourse you will make mistakes, but that is another method of learning.

You CAN learn a single program (which is what many admins do, they learn just enough to tweak their sites' program(s)) but you would NEVER be able to build a project... especially one as potentially HUGE as a CMS without having a good, strong, understanding of the background.

I never said you'd get there overnight, all I said was to take the Direct Approach and start coding for it now.  There are steps that needs to be taken, surely, cause it can't all be done at once, so you split it up into sections, and complete each section one at a time, and finally, putting it all together at the end.  Again, this comes back to trial and error as well as determination to see it through, and remember there are a million and one forums out there to help along the way, as well as Google.com.

Disclaimer - Don't steal code that doesn't belong to you, only use the code that you find as examples and to understand basic concepts.  If you see some code that you'd like to use within your CMS, get permission from the creator of that code.  NEVER go against the license agreement, if there is one that states that you are not permitted to use their code, etc. etc..

mrtrc266

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2010, 12:49:52 PM
I see...   you didn't ever mention specifically WHY you brought up the copyright comments. :P

In my first post I posted the link in his signature and the copyright. Sorry for the confusion. :)
Quotehttp://onlinemodders.com/forums/
OM Theme   Design By: OnlineModders © 2010

MakeItWork

Quote from: mrtrc266 on May 16, 2010, 11:05:49 PM
Have no clue as to what anyone is talking about but I do think credits should go to where credits are deserved.

http://onlinemodders.com/forums/
OM Theme Design By: OnlineModders © 2010

Seems to be very similar to the theme Express Design By DzinerStudio
http://demo.dzinerstudio.com/

Which is the same theme I use here...
http://www.worldteamofpoker.com

Theme copyrights should be more like the following I believe....
Express Design By DzinerStudio
or
Theme by DzinerStudio
or
Express Design By DzinerStudio - Customized by By: OnlineModders © 2010

.. :o someone's gunna be in trouble if they don't fix that.

A better place to talk about this though would be here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=382017.0;topicseen

Arantor

Quote from: MakeItWork on May 18, 2010, 07:19:17 AM
.. :o someone's gunna be in trouble if they don't fix that.

DzinerStudios have been notified.

A better place to talk about this though would be here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=382017.0;topicseen

Except it's a different matter entirely. SMF's copyright has not been removed, so arguing over whether SMF's copyright can be removed here is irrelevant. This one is solely where OnlineModders who've removed the copyright from a DzinerStudios theme, DzinerStudios have been notified, and it's up to them if they want to do something about it.

C4G-TK

SMF was made by little tiny elves in a tree.  Oh wait, that was Keebler, sorry!

As a side note, I love those chocolate covered graham cracker cookies!

-img removed-

Bikken

Quote from: dnelsalty on May 16, 2010, 05:39:15 PM
I was just wondering what had to be learned to make Forum Software such as SMF.

How do they make all of the admin controls and everything?

I just wanted to know because I want to learn how to build software similar but not for forums...

Thanks

Why not start learning to show some sort of respect towards other people and their work? Not only do you claim our work as your own, you are also using a pirated version of our work. Unbelievable! You're already busy destroying your own reputation and you still haven't build a thing. Way to go man!

Oh well, i'm not going to waste much more of my time on this. I have better things to do. Besides, people like dnelsalty are not on my "potential client list" anyway. 

x86cam

Could any of you admins give us a source code of the website and forum so we can tweak it a bit and make a new forum software?

Kindred

WTH?

1- when you download SMF, you get the source code in PHP/HTML/Javascript.
2- You can modify your own site however much you wish...   
3- you can *NOT* release your modified code as "your new software". The SMF license forbids that.
Слaва
Украинi

x86cam

OK, I guess I will customize a forum installation,
but Hi Kindred! Could you go back on my forum?

Kindred

1- I do not general visit forums unless they have something I specifically contribute to or participate in.
2- do not just post messages asking people to come to your forum. Find a niche, get some content and you will get forum members
Слaва
Украинi

rd

Quote from: x86cam on May 22, 2010, 09:54:57 AM

Wait, so your going to change the SMF installation page to something else... But it will still install SMF... What the heck ???

Nao 尚

Quote from: x86cam on May 22, 2010, 09:54:57 AM
Lulz. (I don't know what else to say  O:))
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Advertisement: