Is there a SMF Reader for Smart Phones?

Started by Isthmus, March 17, 2010, 11:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isthmus

As part of the forum, I would love to make available readers for our users so they can access the forum directly from their smart phone.  Right now we are doing RSS feeds, but I wanted something a bit more like an app that would allow users to have full access of the forum in an abbreviated format, specifically made for smart phones.

More specifically I was wondering about something that could be used on Android powered phones and Iphones.  I saw an Iphone App posted here that is kind of what I have in mind:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=353296.0

Does such a thing exist for Android?

青山 素子

Not to my knowledge. Given all the theme and feature changes that could be done to a site, such an application would either not work consistently, or would have to be customized for that specific forum.

SMF does have WAP, WAP2, and iMode access for mobile devices, however.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Arantor

There is also the Curve Mobile theme that makes it more suited to mobile users.

Kill Em All

Tapatalk does not work with SMF yet, it is currently in dev. for it.

edit: nevermind, its now available. but in beta.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

greenchicken

Quote from: Kill Em All on March 20, 2010, 09:51:45 PM
Tapatalk does not work with SMF yet, it is currently in dev. for it.

edit: nevermind, its now available. but in beta.

I have it on my forum and my Droid...  some things don't work perfect yet

Kill Em All

I can't get it to work on my forum because I run a portal. Some not installed on server error. not sure.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Tapatalk

We have just released another update, we are very close to official 1.0 release.

Currently it works well on 1.1.11+ or 2.0 RC3 or higher. We have seen a lot of SMF forum activated Tapatalk support lately.  ;)

tyshcr

I will be submitting my App to the App Store (for iPhone) next week. It works with most standard installs of SMF. The more Mods you have, the less likely it is to work.

This post made using the Free SMF iPhone App [nofollow].

LondonDragon

Kill Em All

Quote from: LondonDragon on May 07, 2010, 06:55:46 PM
Is there an App for Android?? Cheers
Not that I know of, but I'm sure there will be some day.

LondonDragon

Quote from: Kill Em All on May 07, 2010, 07:05:23 PM
Not that I know of, but I'm sure there will be some day.
Lets hope so, there is BBfoc but that only supports SMF 1.x

青山 素子

It's called the browser. Works well enough for me, and if I need extra speed, I use the wap2 version of SMF.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

LondonDragon

Quote from: Motoko-chan on May 07, 2010, 07:12:48 PM
It's called the browser. Works well enough for me, and if I need extra speed, I use the wap2 version of SMF.
I use that too, but would be nice a more user friendly version that looks nicer :P

Kill Em All

Actually, check out Tapatalk, I'm not sure if its done yet, but it might be offered on the Android.

Tapatalk

Quote from: LondonDragon on May 07, 2010, 06:55:46 PM
Is there an App for Android?? Cheers

Yup the Android version has released for a while and now as one of the top app in Android Market. Check it out:

http://tapatalk.com/mobile

rd

Quote from: Motoko-chan on May 07, 2010, 07:12:48 PM

I would't pay for an App because WAP2 works awesome for me :D
Anyways, if you are the admin of the SMF forum or you know the admin, tell him to install this: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2408

It's pretty cool and the mobile theme is pretty cool.

Another solution would be this: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2035

Dragoon does a great job on that one! Cheers.

smp420

I have the free version of forumkast on my touch it works pretty good but I usually just use the browser.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

Advertisement: