What SMF 2.0 modding docs would you like to see? [Part II]

Started by Arantor, March 21, 2010, 06:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm feeling creative, and want to write some useful modding documentation... what would you like to see?

How to call the editor component, with bbcode buttons, smileys, WYSIWYG
3 (14.3%)
How to add new entries/pages in the admin page
4 (19%)
How to create new bbcode (simple and advanced)
4 (19%)
Things to avoid when writing mods if you want them approved faster
5 (23.8%)
All the fiddly bits in mod packaging, and neat features like multiple language readmes
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: March 23, 2010, 06:04:49 AM

Arantor

Kcmartz: seriously, what was the point of that? Not everyone realises the flexibility of searching.

I gotta say, just posting "lol!" as I've seen you do more than once is actually not very helpful.

butchs

Wouldn't it be better and more fruitful to have an intelligent conversation with out all the childish comments?  So now what is going to happen to this thread?  Someone is going to give you a suggestion and you will immediately bash him or her because you either do not understand or you are having a bad day?  Come on.

The point it it is a pain to find them and the others like them.  Furthermore, not all of them have that abbreviation.  I lost the links to several nice ones since I had to reinstall my HD.  I can not even tell you where there are or more or less re-locate them with ease.  An index post would be nice.
:o
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

I don't bash people for making suggestions. I bash people for making comments that serve *no* purpose. I also have a standing grudge against people that continually keep doing similar things even though knowing full well they probably shouldn't be doing them when they've been told repeatedly not to do it.

For this thread, I'm waiting on the 2 days limit I set and will proceed to write the tutorial that gets the most votes. Then we do this again.

I agree, it's a disorganised mess and has been for some time. That's partly why I'm trying to do this and I've been asking that these get linked in the big sticky topic in this board for just that reason.

butchs

Nothing personal, I just hate to see this board end up like Coppermine.

After all this is a forum where many different people come to discuss a topic.  Misunderstandings, stupid questions and confusion are part of life.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

I know exactly what you mean. I try and avoid misunderstandings as best I can but I get so frustrated with trying to help people who seem to miss the more important things around.

For example, all of the support boards have a sticky with a title like "READ ME FIRST: How to help us help you". In them are some great tips on how to get help faster, providing all the necessary information and so on.

But do people do that? Not a hope in hell, far more often than not, and it's annoying as sin because you want to help but without enough information it's impossible.

But when threads get cluttered up with senseless comments that literally add no value to a thread, I get frustrated even more, because it then becomes harder to actually get at the real comments in a thread, especially in a thread designed to capture feedback about benefitting the project as a whole - and your concerns about the threads disappearing is just one thing I am trying to deal with in all of this.

In other news, I'm still amazed that with my level of sarcasm and temper, I was actually let on to the team here.

Arantor

Anyway, last call for votes.

"Things to avoid when writing mods if you want them approved faster" and "All the fiddly bits in mod packaging, and neat features like multiple language readmes" jointly winning so far.

Advertisement: