News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem with forum connection (Settings.php)

Started by Nimnix, March 20, 2010, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kays

That is a bit weird.

A while ago I helped someone with 1.1.11 forum and a similar problem. Things got mucked up somehow and although everything was where it should be and looked proper. Like with you, certain files couldn't be accessed. Setting up a test forum worked. Then after changing the folder names and database settings everything worked fine in the new folder with the old name.

It is a bit more involved than that but you might have to go that route if you can't get things figured out.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Nimnix

So I should basically save my files, delete my forum subdomain folder, create a new forum subdomain folder and put the files there?

O by the way, if I'd install a completely new RC3 forum, and add my MySQL database that I have for my current forums, would all members, boards, topics etc. be added on the completely new forum? I know I'll have to re-add custom images, and themes etc. But members, boards, topics and such related to mySQL, will it be there?

Kays

If you want to go that route.

The safest way is to first setup a test forum on it's own database and make sure it's working proper.
Copy over the contents of the Attachments, Packages, Smileys, Avatars and custom avatar (if it exisits) folders.
Once that is done, change the database settings in either the admin CP or in Settings.php to that of the old forum.
Change folder names (old forum <-> new forum)and run repair_settings.php (What is repair_settings.php?)
This way you will still have all of the old files and folders incase there's a problem.

Word of caution  if transferring files using FileZilla. Go into the transfer settings and uncheck "Transfer files with no extensions as ASCII" else your image attachments will get corrupted.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Nimnix

Well, phew, after a LOT of damn struggling with MySQL and re-installing, the forums are now fully working correctly.

Thanks for your help, and time.

Kays

My Mods

Advertisement: