Read Own Posts Only Forum

Started by Storm3y, March 21, 2010, 01:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm3y

Greetings,

I'm wanting to setup a forum where people can only make new posts and read their own posts only.

This is for a league I'm running and I want a Dispute / Support Forum.

Any ideas how to do this?

Senkusha

I know that there is a Permissions option to Reply to All Posts.  you could uncheck that, but your members will still have the rights to read everybody else's posts.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Kill Em All

Why would you want to able to read their own posts only? That would defeat the purpose of a forum.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Storm3y

The purpose of the forum is a disputes / support forum.

People will make a new topic and then league admins will be able to see it and help them out. We don't want the 'regular members' to read threads made by others.

Arantor

There's no real way of doing this currently in SMF - at least, not one that is consistent and can't be sidestepped by things the authors may have overlooked.

As I said to you in IRC, SimpleDesk will deal with this once it is ready, just be a little bit patient (we've spent 2 1/2 months writing the 10k lines of SimpleDesk thus far, 1.0 will not be far away)

Storm3y

Yup I'm hoping to get invited to the beta test for that. We're looking to start our league next week so we could do with somthing for then.

Arantor

You know what "beta testing" means though? Some stuff may be broken, other stuff may not work properly?

Storm3y

Quote from: Arantor on March 21, 2010, 07:44:11 PM
You know what "beta testing" means though? Some stuff may be broken, other stuff may not work properly?

Yep I understand that and I'd like to report any bugs if I do encounter any however if I can achive what I'm after even thought it is still in beta it may be worth it.

I found some mods similar but they only work for older versions http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=156660.0

I would ofcouse try this out on my test forum before loading it onto my main one.

Arantor

We'll try and let you know ASAP, we have had a lot of people ask about being beta testers...

Storm3y

Quote from: Arantor on March 21, 2010, 07:50:08 PM
We'll try and let you know ASAP, we have had a lot of people ask about being beta testers...

OK Thank you :)

Kill Em All

Is this solved Storm3y? Please feel free to mark this solved if it is.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Storm3y

If I get accepted into the beta yes. But if not then no =[

Arantor

Or if you don't get accepted, the wait for SimpleDesk 1.0's public release should be in the "weeks" category now.

chilly

Quote from: Kill Em All on March 21, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
Why would you want to able to read their own posts only? That would defeat the purpose of a forum.

Example: a Section where Users can Report Cheaters / Hackers (if using the forum for a game)
If everyone knows a user reports hackers and that people were hacking or wanted to they would offend the user reporting hackers.
If they cant see the user reporting hackers its easier to find those hackers and the hackers cant offend people that report hackers.

Language Coordinator

Kill Em All

I get where you are coming from, I was actually looking for this mod when I first started my site.

Sadly there is no mod for this. I would suggest making a mod request.

Arantor

Or hold off on the mod request until we get SimpleDesk out ;)

Kill Em All

Quote from: Arantor on March 24, 2010, 03:39:47 PM
Or hold off on the mod request until we get SimpleDesk out ;)
That would work to. :)

* Kill Em All whips Arantor, "stomp those bugs Arantor! STOMP THEM!!"

:p

Storm3y

Arantor

Jeez, can't you be patient for maybe a few weeks?

You know, most mods requested in Mod Requests never EVER materalise...

Kill Em All

Quote from: Arantor on March 25, 2010, 07:49:19 PM
Jeez, can't you be patient for maybe a few weeks?

You know, most mods requested in Mod Requests never EVER materalise...
I'm just messin, I actually am pretty patient.

True that most mods request aren't actually made, its better than nothing. Not much else you can do about that.

Advertisement: