News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

zip file help

Started by IchBin™, March 25, 2010, 08:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin™

Anyone else ever have a problem with zip files being detected as empty or corrupt while trying to install a mod? I can't seem to figure out what it is about my zips that have this problem. I know why my Mac does it, and was able to find a zip program that works just fine. However on any linux system I have access to (Ubuntu and Centos), zip does not compress properly or something. It ALWAYS says my file is empty or corrupted. Anyone ever run into this same problem?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Arantor

Yeah, the zip program you're using is using a different deflate method.

If you're on Linux, save yourself the hassle and just tar-gzip the file instead to make .tar.gz files.

Flammifer

I did run into an issue with the package manager not being able to see the contents of a package I was putting together. It seemed to go away when I replaced all of the spaces in the file name with underscores.

IchBin™

I don't think I have any problem with spaces or filename etc. I know that tar.gz works, but I just wanted to know if anyone else knew what the problem with zip.

Arantor

It's down to compression method, gzip vs deflate and IIRC gzip works, deflate doesn't.

Windows Explorer and 7zip are known to work consistently correctly. Don't know about *nix.

SlammedDime

I've always used 7Zip with Deflate compression for my zip archives and never had an issue...
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Arantor

Well, I wasn't sure which method it was exactly - but the principle is the same: you have multiple ways of encoding a zip archive, some compressors do it in a valid way but one that SMF's package manager can't deal with.

IchBin™

Well I guess I'll give 7zip a try if I can't figure out why zip isn't zipping it in a format that'll work with SMF. Thanks for the tips guys.

Advertisement: