News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Smilies updated

Started by silverdragon, August 05, 2003, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverdragon

Ok, I have updated the smilies and got rid of the one universal smiley that everyone hated.

I know that some don't like the new smilies, and I respect that, but for now that's tough.  You're free to use whatever smilies you like on your own forum, PLUS, the cool coders here are writing a script that will allow you to select your smilie package (I believe).  Most people do like the new smilies, so we're going to stick with them for a while.  Besides, they're cute.

Point is, the  :D and  ;D smilies are updated.

-SD

mattsiegman

:) ;) :(

all look the same to me :(

User-selectable smilies? cool....
-- Matt Siegman

silverdragon

mattsiegman

I'm using 1280 x 1024 resolution.  the gold is too bright on them and the mouth fades in, so i can't tell which way it is pointing without getting closer to the screen.
-- Matt Siegman

silverdragon

My res is 1440x900 (16:10 display) and they look just fine.  Sorry, not changing them.

-SD

mattsiegman

If you are using a Mac G5, then no doubt, your screen is huge.

Just because they look fine for you doesn't mean they look fine for everyone :(

[sorry if I sound a bit rude, its been a long day]
-- Matt Siegman

Joseph

matt - so far you're the only one I've seen who's had a problem...I'll keep my eyes open for others though..
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

mattsiegman

Alright, I'm just very picky about graphics. (Probably has something to do with the design workshop I was at two weeks ago)
-- Matt Siegman

Joseph

:) I can see how that would do it for you! lol
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

silverdragon

Then ensure your monitor is calibrated correctly.  If your contrast is all the way up and your brightness is all the way down... You loose 2 coolness points.

Nope, not on a G5, they are not shipping yet.

-SD

mattsiegman

I have brightness up a tiny, tiny bit, but my other settings are normal :(
-- Matt Siegman

Tim

they look a lot better!

what about the stoner smilie:  :P  ;D

Meriadoc

Quote from: silverdragon on August 05, 2003, 06:37:01 PM

Nope, not on a G5, they are not shipping yet.

-SD
really?

ah, would it be possible to take the animation out of :-\ : - \ and just leave the mouth to our right so as not to get it confused with  ::) : : ) (rolling eyes)? why have just that one animated anyway?
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

silverdragon

Quote from: Meriadoc on August 05, 2003, 09:37:01 PM
ah, would it be possible to take the animation out of :-\ : - \ and just leave the mouth to our right so as not to get it confused with  ::) : : ) (rolling eyes)? why have just that one animated anyway?

Yeah, that may be a good idea.   Will do that tomorrow.

-SD

RDGadz

I don't like them at all. Smilies at this size should be very basic otherwise its kind of hard to tell what the expression is.

Are they even circles anymore?

I would make them have more contrast at least.
A telephone call? That's communication with the outside world! Doctor's discretion.

alienine

I like them... they look much better then the prvious smileys.. though those ones vere good too nice to see  ;D has been fixed

mattsiegman

hey, someone else agrees with me!

:) :( and ;) all look the same >:(
-- Matt Siegman

Daniel D.

Quote from: mattsiegman on August 06, 2003, 05:38:39 PM
hey, someone else agrees with me!

:) :( and ;) all look the same >:(
Hmm, I don't want to say my opinion again :-X. The colors are not different enough to see the emotion in a quick look (grammar ?).

alienine

you people must have funny screens....

Jeff Lewis

Co-Founder of SMF

Advertisement: