News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Users online

Started by gastan, March 27, 2010, 10:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gastan

I've searched and found nothing.  I've asked this question before but got no answers.  It is driving be nuts.

How does SMF count "users online"?  Where does it get the numbers?  What file(s) controls the count?  How does SMF keep track of "users"?

The info center on my forum is saying -- right now -- this very minute -- that there are currently 27 guests online.  But StatCounter -- right now -- this very minute -- is telling me that there have been NO visitors to my forum for the last 11 hours -- and only 4 since midnight. 

Either StatCounter is wrong or SMF is wrong.  I'm trying to figure out which one. 

Using version 1.1.11 and default theme.

a10

Do you have ip's showing when clicking 'x Guests, x Users' in Users Online?
The number of ip's should match the sum of Guests + Users.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

gastan

Wow, thanks a10gf.  I didn't know about that and had never clicked it before.

Right now - 6:40am local time - forum info center says I have 22 visitors and 2 members on site.  StatCounter is telling me that there have been zero visitors since midnight.

Yes, the visitors and users numbers match what is shown in the info center.  Also, I have IP numbers and times for everyone.  I checked almost all the IP numbers at Melissa data lookup and they are all from very different locations so I am thinking they are not spoofed/bogus/spammed.  Must be a StatCounter problem. 

What was especially interesting was to see that two visitors were "Registering for an account on the forum".  (The forum is set to require approval before registration/posting/reading)  It's been 20-25 minutes and I have not yet received the e-mails informing me that there have been two new registrants.  I'll give it more time but I hope that doesn't become a whole new issue (not receiving e-mail notification when someone registers).

Off to see the wizard (at StatCounter).  Thanks.

snazster

Those users registering on the forum may well be spambots or serachengine bots who may or may not get mpast the registration phase, so don't be too surprised if they end up not becoming members. 

As for the issue of how many people are only, there is a setting which allows you to show people as being online, even if they left 15 minutes ago, 60 minutes ago, 4 hours ago, etc, so perhaps this is causing the anomoly.  I can't remember exactly where this setting is - you might have changed it and remember it now - if you can't find it, let me know and I'll have an in-depth look for you. 

Hope this helps. 
We're all here to learn!

Advertisement: