[FREE] Updated & new member awards system

Started by KensonPlays, March 28, 2010, 01:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thee mc

It's no surprise that I see Legend Zero here.  :D

I'm also looking for a better award system mod. I have a few ideas of features that I thought I'd throw out there if this mod is being redone anyway.

• Ability to set number of awards displayed in the user bar in posts.
  • Ability to resize or thumbnail the award that is shown in the user bar in posts.
  • Link underneath awards in user bar in posts to a profile page displaying all of the users awards.
  • Awards page shows all possible awards 'dimmed' and achieved awards full/colored.
  • Make separate 'achievements' and 'awards.' Awards could be specific things that are manually handed out by the staff, whereas the achievements could be "spent x amount of time on the site" or "posted x times" which are automatically given when the user hits that point.
  • Admin page where awards/achievements can be enabled/disabled or added/removed. Also maybe a list to see how many members have earned/been given awards/achievements.

Obviously I know this is a lot, and may sound simpler than it is in reality. This would also make the mod a lot different and better IMO than the original mod. I'd love to help do this but unfortunately my web knowledge hasn't quite yet surpassed xhtml/css and basic javascript. However this being said if that knowledge could help at all let me know!

Thanks for looking into this!

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Legend Zero

Quote from: thee mc on April 12, 2010, 05:10:06 AM
It's no surprise that I see Legend Zero here.  :D

[threadhijack]
Well I'll be dammed, hi there MC!! How come I never see you on LZ/XBox anymore???
[/hijack]

Personally, I can do some PHP querrying, but the backend database manipulation is where I'm a bit iffy. I know a direct rip is out of the question, but taking a look at the existing mod is a good place to get a general feature set to build off of, if you want to be more specific.

live627

I will write a mod like this from scratch knowing that directly copying existing mods is disallowed.

@MC: Great ideas there!

I will be making it paid, but will make a free version with some very basic features.

KensonPlays

I will start with the free, and if I like it, and have a comparison, might upgrade to paid! Thanks for this live! You rock!!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Legend Zero

I also make a few small suggestions,

- When hovering the awards on the user profile, there is either a tooltip of a stylized html popup that shows the award name and it's flavor text.
- Additional Award auto-checks, like if user is viewing a certain thread or URL
- The ability for a user to choose their "Favorite" award that always displays first on the list, whether on posts mini-list or fill list on profile
- Check if certain profile fields are filled in (example, if they added their Xbox gamertag to their profile)
- Ability to integrate with the Ultimate Profile mod.
- Ability to integrate with the Facebook Connect mod.

A bit much, I know, but for a paid mod I'm a bit more inclined to ask for more.

live627

How would it integrate with Facebook Connect? Which one did you have in mind, and what would the connection between it and the proposed awards mod?

KensonPlays

I would believe Sleepy Arcade's FB mod, but I know I don't speak for him.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Legend Zero

Yes to KC, and it would allow users to publish a notification to their facebook profiles when they earn an award, allowing for a more social aspect of the system.

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

trebul

Good to see someone is working on a replacement my site really is starting to rely on it. I do want to thank Frustrate for coding the original as it served me well. I'm not looking to upgrade until 2.0 is gold.

Love talking about pets?
      Visit a friendly pet forum!

Looking for tips to running a forum?
      Trebul's community guide

Golan 1st

Any idea when we can expect to see this coming out?
I need it desperately.

Legend Zero

Guys, the sure way to assure this wont happen is turning it into a

"OH OH ME ME ME ME ME HURRY HURRY HURRY NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!" thread.

Let the people working on it work on it, and wait patiently for your rewards.

live627

Legend Zero

Arantor

Quote from: Legend Zero on April 20, 2010, 07:14:52 PM

And that's one reason a lot of people don't write mods for SMF any more.

Legend Zero

Quote from: Arantor on April 21, 2010, 04:44:26 PM
Quote from: Legend Zero on April 20, 2010, 07:14:52 PM

And that's one reason a lot of people don't write mods for SMF any more.

And that is a sad, sad thing.

Arantor

It's partly why I stopped writing free mods and why I shelved plans to do a low-cost paid version of this one.

Legend Zero

It sucks though, SMF is a great system, it's ability to integrate with off-forum pages far surpasses what i know VB and PhpBB and others are capable of (correct me if I'm wrong here). The mod community is the other half of the awesome formula, and with that in flux right now its a bit disheartening.

As always, the impatient ruin it for everyone.

Arantor

I wouldn't say it's in flux, I'd say it's been slowly fading for ages, personally.

Though what I have in mind may just do something about that.

Advertisement: