News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Reset admin password

Started by buggermenot, March 28, 2010, 05:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buggermenot

I forgot my admin password, and it seems that the email address I had entered was incorrect. There are no other admin accounts on the forum. Is there a way to reset the password without the email, or to change the email assigned to an account so I can reset the password?

I have full access to MySQL, and the SMF files.

Arantor

If you have full access to MySQL, go into phpMyAdmin, find the members table and edit email_address for your account.

buggermenot

Turns out the problem wasn't with my email address, but with the site's email system. How can I fix it without logging in an admin account, or how do you reset the password without the email? If I change the encrypted password from the members MySQL table to a new, plain text one, will it work if I try to log in?

Regards,

Arantor

Actually, yes that should work. It should try that as a fallback.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Yes it will work, although it will re-encrypt it as soon as you login with the new password.

Aaah!! Arantor got here before me! :P

buggermenot

SMF is acting stupid: when I enter the username & password, it says "Password security has recently been upgraded. Please enter your password again." So it put in my password again. Then it says "Password incorrect", even though it's exactly the same than the one I put in the members table. So I try again, and it tells me: "Password security has recently been upgraded. Please enter your password again." So I put the password in, and the whole thing starts over again.

I tried going to phpMyAdmin, in the members table, and the password I put in is still there, in plain text, not encrypted.

I'm running a manual installation of SMF 2.0RC3 on a website hosted by hxxp:x10hosting.com [nonactive].

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Clear your cache and cookies and then try again.

Arantor

Hmm. I think there's a bug in 2.0 RC3 (and I think I helped report it :S)

Well, you can reset your password, actually by using something like the query below.

UPDATE smf_members SET passwd = SHA1(CONCAT(LOWER(member_name), 'password')) WHERE id_member = 1

Make SURE you put id_member as the right id_member for you (might be 1), that you use the right table name (will end in members, might not be smf_members) and that you change the password to what you want but put it in quotes...

buggermenot

Quote from: Arantor on March 28, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
Hmm. I think there's a bug in 2.0 RC3 (and I think I helped report it :S)

Well, you can reset your password, actually by using something like the query below.

UPDATE smf_members SET passwd = SHA1(CONCAT(LOWER(member_name), 'password')) WHERE id_member = 1

Make SURE you put id_member as the right id_member for you (might be 1), that you use the right table name (will end in members, might not be smf_members) and that you change the password to what you want but put it in quotes...
That did the job. Thanks, Arantor!

Advertisement: