News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Started by Poppy XXX, March 30, 2010, 04:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy XXX

Hi,

We're using Forum version: SMF 2.0 RC3 Current SMF version: SMF 2.0 RC3 and are having some problems with it. The edit profile page for avatars and signatures seems to have disappeared.

Via Profile - Modify Profile you have these options

*   Account Related Settings
    * Look and Layout Preferences
    * Notifications and Email
    * Personal Message Options

But none of them let you upload an avatar, signature, or any of the info that used to be there.

Our forum is here http://theprivateclub.com/forum/index.php [nofollow] if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Poppy

CapadY

Did you make upoading Avatars available in the Administrtor settings and in the usergroup permissions ?
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Poppy XXX

Yes and yes. Edit additional profile settings is enabled which said "Additional profile settings include settings for avatars, theme preferences, notifications and Personal Messages."

Thing is though, I'm admin and I've got no option to do it either.

CapadY

At Generel User permissions there is an option "Avatar select or upload", did you make it available there ?

Poppy XXX

How do I get there? I can't see a general user permissions?

CapadY

Permission settings at membergroups

Poppy XXX

The only option it gives is
"Groups allowed to change membergroups"

kat

Admin>Permissions>Click "Modify", beside a membergroup.

In the new screen, on the right-hand side, near the top, you'll see the "Member Profiles" section.

Under that, you'll see "Select an avatar from the server","Upload an avatar to the server" and "Choose a remotely stored avatar". Check the ones that you want to apply and hit "Save changes".

Poppy XXX

Thanks Kat, they are all ticked.

Even if they weren't ticked on a certain membergroup, surely I (Administrator) would still be able to as Admins have all permissions anyway? But I can't.

CapadY

Goto Admin - Members - Manage Permissions - General Permissions

Select the permission group you want to edit

I've added a printscreen from the options.

kat

Let me just check that I've got this right...

If you go to profile>Forum Profile>Personalized Picture, select "Upload an avatar" and... what?

Poppy XXX

There is no option to add a personalised picture whatsoever. Have added screenshot of Profile page.

Poppy XXX

I have an avatar etc because I uploaded it back when it was 1.10 btw. Worked fine then lol.

kat

Wrong place. ;)

From the Profile drop-down, select "Forum Profile". Then, when the new page opens, it'll be there.

If not, do you want to make me a temporary account, on your forum, so that I can come and check, for you?

Poppy XXX

There is no drop down?

Go for it. I'm online so I'll approve it straight away. Quick warning, it's a forum for a swingers club.

kat

No problem. :)

OK. Registered.

Your registration page isn't quite right, by the way...

Poppy XXX

Neither is the way it just says - Index rather than "The Private Club's Forum - Index", help? lol

kat

I think it's that custom theme...

I'm looking around (In a very non-pervy way) ;)

Poppy XXX

I'll take the theme off, it was having even more problems without it, drop down menus were appearing with no text inside.

Lol, enjoy?

kat

Can you make me an admin, for a few minutes, so I can check stuff?

Poppy XXX

Done.

I can get into the forum profile edit now, but it has no title for what it is.

*head explodes*

You wouldn't happen to know how to fix the index part would you?

kat

Looking around admin, it looks like there's quite a bit wrong with your forum, I'm afraid.

A lot of things that should be showing-up just aren't there.

I see you have some mods, but none of them have been applied, which is good!

Let me put it this way...

If that was my forum, what I'd do, is this:

I'd get the SMF v2.RC3 install package, dearchive it, on my computer, then upload (Using FTP) everything EXCEPT Settings.php and install.php from the package to your site, overwriting what's there, now.

EDIT: No, you won't lose any posts/members, coz they're stored in the database. :)

Poppy XXX

The real pain is, it was fine before the upgrade. I will take your advice, though I'm thinking it might be better to use a clean fresh copy, I've got the zipped SMF 2.0 RC3 Full Install, do you think extracting that then copying it over minus Settings.php and install.php will do the trick?

kat

I reckon so, yes.

Although, as a good admin, you'll be taking a full backup of both the site and database, anyway, won't you? ;)

Poppy XXX

As a totally bewildered admin, I'm not even sure I remember how I'm meant to do that... I've done it before, but with all these missing titles, I'm more lost than a penguin in barbados.

kat

Doddle.

Go to your site's CPanel (Not SMF Admin)>Files>Backups.

You want to take a full home directory backup (It'll take a while to download) and the database, too.

If you need to restore them, you do it from the same place.

Poppy XXX

Right, I've found the database, downloaded it and saved it. Am use FTP to transfer the 'forum' folder completely into a new folder in My Documents.

That's right... yeah?

kat

That's one way of doing it, yeah.

Remember, though, that you can't restore the database from within SMF. You can only do that from your site's CPanel.

Poppy XXX

Quote from: Kat on March 30, 2010, 07:16:12 AM
Doddle.

Go to your site's CPanel (Not SMF Admin)>Files>Backups.

You want to take a full home directory backup (It'll take a while to download) and the database, too.

Ah ok, I've set that going, it said it'd email me once it was done. What do I do then?

Poppy XXX

Got an email saying.

[ ! ] *************************************************************** [ ! ]
[ ! ] WARNING: Your account is TOO LARGE (Over 4gb) for cPanel backups. Please contact [email protected] [ ! ]
[ ! ] *************************************************************** [ ! ]

block_curr 16467060
        block_soft 1023998976
        block_hard 1023998976
        block_timelimit 0
        inode_curr 33635
        inode_soft 0
        inode_hard 0
        inode_timelimit 0

W.T.F?

kat

Four gig?!?!? There's no way your site's that big! Unless you have a lot of attachments, or something. Or, is the forum part of a much bigger site?

Looks like you'll have to get on to hostgator, then.

How incredibly silly. Fancy not letting you back up your site!

Poppy XXX

It's part of the main club site but full penetration the paysite is hosted on the same account. Is there any way to only back up the club site and not full pen? I'm not the webby for full pen, only for the private club.

kat

Well, as you said, you could just download it all via FTP.

The database can be done from CPanel, though, ay?

Poppy XXX

Oh ok, I haven't stopped the FTP download so I'll let that carry on.

How do I download the database via the CP?

I should point out, I've never been taught how to do any of this stuff. Hence my general ignorance.

I have options for MySQL Databases, MySQL Database Wizard, phpMyAdmin and Remote MySQL.

kat

MySQL Databases should do it.

Backing up the database is a big "Must do". You really ought to do that regularly, coz that's where all your posts/members are. You can rebuild a forum, dead easily, but not a database.

Poppy XXX

It doesn't give me an option to download the database? It says Create New, Check, Repair, shows me what databases are there and gives me the option to delete, and tells me who the MySQL users are.

I thought the database was downloaded via Admin > Maintenance > Forum Maintenance > Backup Database. That's what I've done in the past and what I thought you meant originally. Obviously not lol.

kat

Well, yes. You can certainly do it that way.

There's no way of restoring it, though, other than from CPanel.

Want to PM me your cpanel address and logins? I can have a look, for you. It must be different from mine. Should be easy enough to figure out, though.

Read this, first, though:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

Advertisement: